Closing issues directly from within Plan Mode

Daniel Osborne June 15, 2014

Hi,

We have a Jira Agile Scrum board using the simplified Agile workflow (with a few extra status and column entries).

Is it possible to close an issue in the Scrum Board's Plan Mode, so a Product Owner can prune their backlog of unwanted tasks (i.e. remove stories submitted by others without putting them in a Sprint, or deleting them)?

We can delete issues, but "Close" isn't an option under "More Actions", even for users with "Close Issue" permissions.

Ideally, we're looking for to capture a "Won't Do" status that hides the item from Plan mode, marks it "Resolved" but doesn't consider it "Done", (and doesn't delete it.)

Any help gratefully received,

Dan

3 answers

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2014

If the user can do it from the issue, he should be able to do the action from the Plan mode as well, under "More Actions". For the "Close" example you mentioned earlier, is the user able to do it when he is on the issue page? Maybe there is another workflow condition which is preventing the close workflow transition?

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2014

Jobin,

I guess transitions only appear when auto-completing the popup menu there - it doesn't seem to be displayed under the [•••] button.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2014

Yes, that is possible too. Sometimes they appear but sometime they don't. The one I just checked appears without auto complete. Not sure if there is a logic behind displaying them.

Hi Chaps, thanks for your comments.

At the moment, we don't get a "Close" option under the [***] button or the [.] pop-up.

This is what I find strange, as I have the "close" permission. I'm a project administrator, so I can see the simplified Workflow diagram shows "[CLOSED] <--- [All]".

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2014

Daniel,

Check inside the issue directly to see if there are transitions available. It may have a different name (As closed is the status, the transition name may be different).

The transitions are the buttons on the right, above the resolution field.

Ah, looking at the /browse/ABC-123 issue details page, we have [Open][Blocked][Workflow], where the Workflow menu offers:

* In Progress

* In Code Review

* QA in Progress

* Done

* Ready for QA

* Later

* Soon

There is no straight "Close" option - would this be expected given the below workflow?

"Won't do" was my attempt at a "Closed but not done" status, which might have been the problem. To double-check, I opened the issue again, but still no "Close" option.

I fear I'm missing something really simple!

Also, I'm a named user in the "Developers" Project Role, and that role is listed in both the "Resolve Issues" and "Close Issues" permissions.

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
June 15, 2014

Daniel,

What I mean is that 'Closed' is the name of the Status and not of the Transition. Therefore, your 'Done' transition probably goes to Closed. Try typing 'Done' in the popup menu for example.

You can see in the Administration » Workflows page, when vieweing your workflow through Text Mode what is the name of the transition that leads to Won't Do (possibly 'Later'?).

Daniel Osborne June 16, 2014

Many thanks, Matheus. As below, there are no named transitions out of any status (I'd assumed this was because of the "[any status]<--- [All]" workflow made it redundant).

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
June 16, 2014

Daniel, it seems you're actually viewing the Administration » Projects » Your Project » Workflows » Text screen. Please navigate directly to Administration » Issues » Workflows and open this workflow directly through there. You should be able to see the transitions in the text mode here. :)

Daniel Osborne June 17, 2014

Morning Matheus,

I was missing some privileges. Upgrading from project admin to temporary full admin, I can now see the transitions; it seems there is no "Closed" option.

Open (11)

>> Open

Blocked (21)

>> Blocked

In Progress (31)

>> In Progress

In Code Review (41)

>> In Code Review

QA In Progress (51)

>> QA In Progress

Done (61)

>> Done

Ready for QA (71)

>> Ready for QA

Later (81)

>> Later

Soon (91)

>> Soon

WON'T DO (101)

>> WON'T DO

(It does say "Generated by JIRA Agile version 6.3.6. This workflow is managed internally by JIRA Agile. Do not manually modify this workflow.")

It seems there are no custom Operations or Properties, for reference.
0 votes
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
June 15, 2014

Hi Dan,

You should be able to select an issue in order to make the right-side panel show its details. In this panel, you should see a [•••] button - using this button, select 'More Actions'.

This will bring up a popup, that you can type in the name of the transition (e.g. 'Close' or 'Done'). Alternatively, select the issue and hit the '.'(dot) key on your keyboard, which is the shortcut for this menu.

Let me know how it goes! :)

0 votes
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
June 15, 2014

Hi Dan,

You should be able to select an issue in order to make the right-side panel show its details. In this panel, you should see a [•••] button - using this button, select 'More Actions'.

This will bring up a popup, that you can type in the name of the transition (e.g. 'Close' or 'Done'). Alternatively, select the issue and hit the '.'(dot) key on your keyboard, which is the shortcut for this menu.

Let me know how it goes! :)

Suggest an answer