Closed issues appear in active sprint but have never been assigned to it

Thomas Schneider April 9, 2014

There are issues which have been closed some time ago and now appear in the current sprint.

For example, there is an issue which as been resolved as "Won't fix" and closed on Jan 7th. It was not assigned to any sprint at that time and has not been touched since then.

However, now it appears in the current April sprint. Why? It has never been explicitly assigned to this sprint as you can see from the issue history.

3 answers

1 vote
Patty Yuen March 2, 2021

I have a similar issue.  I have some closed issues which upon some housekeeping suddenly got assigned to a future sprint that is not even active yet.  How can I control this from happening?  I got a response to disable editing of Closed issues, but I don't want to turn that functionality off.

Patty Yuen March 2, 2021

Capture.PNG

1 vote
Andrew Cohen October 22, 2015

We had an issue where closed issues that had no sprint assigned showed up in the Active Sprints board.  So I just added the following JQL to the board's filter query: 

AND (sprint is not EMPTY OR status != Closed)
0 votes
Anna Cardino
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 24, 2014

Hey there, Thomas.

Have you tried re-indexing when you noticed this at first? One of the possibilities to this is that your JIRA might be in the inconsistent state which causes Closed issues to appear in the current sprint.

Also, can you check on the following:

• Quick Filter of the board
  • Scrum Board Filter

If you still have issues and need urgent attention, kindly raise a ticket in support.atlassian.comfor further follow up.

Suggest an answer