Cloning an issue creates a new issue in a "clone" of the current sprint

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2021

I've encountered this behavior several times, and I'm still struggling to understand what I'm seeing.  When I clone an issue, the clone is placed in a clone of my current sprint.  Specifics:

Cloned a bug this morning.  Our current - active - sprint is 2021.s8.  The bug we cloned was in sprint 2021.s7.  The new bug was placed in sprint 2021.s8.  When I opened my story board to see the contents of my sprint (anticipating seeing the newly cloned bug), the new bug was not there.

Having seen this behavior before, I went to the Backlog view, and now I see TWO sprints identically named 2021.s8; one sprint contains all my team's other sprint work, the other sprint contains only the newly created - cloned - bug.  So, I dragged the new bug into the active sprint of the same name, and now the bug shows in the current sprint... and under the backlog view, I no longer see two sprints of the same identical name.

What is going on??

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2021

Is this for a Team Managed (next gen) or Company Managed (classic) project?

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2021

This is a classic project.

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2021

BTW, I am an admin, so I have more permissions than the average user...

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2021

Was sprint 2021.s7 closed, but the Bug issue was not completed so it went into the backlog?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2021

Did you have the "Clone sprint value" box checked when you cloned the issue?

So far I have not been able to recreate this situation.

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2021

2021.s7 was indeed closed. Clone Sprint Value - I've tried it both checked and unchecked... and I believe (can't swear) the results were the same.  This morning, Clone Sprint Value was unchecked.  Once the clone was created, I assigned the clone to sprint 2021.s8 - which should have been our current active sprint - which turned out to be the "clone sprint".  When I discovered it was not showing up in our current active sprint of the same name, I did as described above and dragged it into our current sprint, at which time the "clone sprint" disappeared from view.

If Clone Sprint Value was indeed selected, does it make sense it would actually clone the sprint and place the cloned bug in the cloned sprint?  I thought sprint value had to be unique; we have sprints unique per project in our configuration; I would not have thought Jira would permit two identically named sprints associated to the same project.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2021

JIRA does not prevent the creation of multiple sprints with identical names. You can  confirm that there is actually only one sprint in your JIRA instance with a given name by executing an Advanced Search with JQL. When you specify Sprint as the criteria and start to type in the name of the sprint, you will be shown potential matching values. If there is more than one sprint with that name, that will show in the list of matching values.

The disappearance of the "cloned" sprint from your board after you removed the issue suggest that a second sprint with the same name (2021.s8) was actually created in a different Scrum board. A sprint will show up in a scrum board if either of these conditions is met:

1. The sprint was created in that scrum board

2. The sprint contains an issue that is within the filter/scope of the scrum board, even if the sprint was created in another board.

JIRA does not prevent the addition of issues to sprints that are not part of the same board.

Doing a bit a research I found that the "Clone sprint value" checkbox is not actually creating a new sprint by that name. It applies when you are cloning an issue that is in an active sprint, and the result is that the newly created clone issue is added to the same sprint rather than being put in the backlog.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2021

Well, JQL clearly shows I have a duplicately named sprint, which contains no issues.  How do I safely remove/close/delete that sprint without inadvertently causing issues with my current/active sprint?

Your notes above make sense regarding Clone Sprint Value; this was my understanding of the function of that checkbox as well... good to get confirmation - thanks.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2021

You need to find the board where the sprint was created and delete the sprint there. I found this suggestion in a comment from @Jose Luis Casarrubias in another post:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-to-find-out-who-created-a-sprint/qaq-p/325140

You just need to have the sprint ID and then use rest api:/

rest/agile/1.0/sprint/{sprintID}

This rest api will provide you the originBoardId of the sprint

Once you have the board ID, then you can bring up the board using the URL

https://<your JIRA URL>/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=<board id>

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2021

NVM - I found instructions on how to do this out in the community forum... I created a bogus Bug, assigned it to the sprint, then went to the backlog, was able to see the duplicate sprint, then I deleted the duplicate sprint.  I think I'm good now.

Thanks for all your help!

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Want-to-Delete-a-Sprint-but-can-t-find-it/qaq-p/441881

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events