Cloning a hierarchy of issues in Jira

Rob Smith May 13, 2021

We've got a team that has very repetitive work that needs to get accomplished each iteration.

That work is organized in a hierarchical structure (Feature --> Story(ies) --> Task(s)).

We've got templates built out for each level in the hierarchy, but we've not been able to figure out how to copy the whole structure at once when it's time for this body of work to happen again.

Is it possible natively in Jira, or with a plugin/app, to accomplish this?

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 17, 2021

To complete the list of apps that are capable of cloning a hierarchy of issues in Jira, I want to recommend our Jira cloud app Deep Clone for Jira. :)

Another feature of our app is Bulk Cloning thousands of issues or entire projects

Don't hesitate to contact us, if you have questions or feedback.

1 vote
Nishanth Thimmareddy _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 17, 2021

Hi @Rob Smith 

You can use Clone Plus for Jira Cloud to clone an epic, its issues, and its subtasks with estimates. 

Full disclosure: I'm the product manager for the app.

If you have questions or feedback about Clone Plus for Jira, please get in touch with us.

Regards,
Nishanth T
Product Manager
Appfire

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2021

Hell @Rob Smith 

You could use a CSV import to import the issue information, each time you need to replicate it.

Alternately, there are a few apps in the Marketplace that focus on cloning issues. You'll need to research them to determine which one meets your needs. I have not used any of them myself so cannot speak to the details of their functionality.

0 votes
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2021

I would suggest using Issue Templates for Jira to create a structured issue template.  If you are looking to deep clone epics, and want a free option, there is Clone Epic Template for Jira.

0 votes
Tom Jones [Appsvio]
Marketplace Partner
May 13, 2021

Hi @Rob Smith 

We are vendor of Scheduled Templates which has a feature to create a three-level tree of issues from the template. 

Cheers, 

0 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2021

Hi @Rob Smith welcome to the Atlassian community.

At the moment, I can think of @Rachel Wright, the Jira admin who can assist with your query.

Stay safe and stay healthy.

Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 13, 2021

Thanks for tagging me @G subramanyam !

Hi @Rob Smith, there are lots of great answers already posted by folks who are faster typists than I.  :) 

I always did what you're after using the .CSV import feature, as @Trudy Claspill suggested.  If you use CSV, import as a Jira application admin (not as a Jira user) as the capabilities are more robust in the admin version.  Find the admin importer at Admin > System > External system import.

Since you have Jira Cloud, you could also try out the new automation feature.  You could create a scheduled rule, that runs every 90 days, and clones existing issues.  Try it out in Atlassian's playground environment so you can test it without impacting your real production data.  The playground is here: http://atlassian.com/automation

And of course there are more robust solutions available using a marketplace app or the Jira REST API.

Hope this or one of the previous posts below helps!

Rachel Wright
Author, Jira Strategy Admin Workbook

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer