Cloning Tickets from Jira Service Management to Jira Software Problems

Penguin June 6, 2022

Every time we clone the contents of a ticket from Jira Service Management to Jira Software, the embedded images and files in the source ticket fail to transfer correctly to the target ticket and we are left with placeholders only.

Then, if you try to edit the text in the newly created and cloned Jira Software ticket, there is an additional common issue where it is not possible to save the edits dues to an unidentified error.

Please advise.

2 answers

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2022

Hi Penguin,

The only way to accomplish that which I am aware of is to use the add-on Deep Clone. 

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2022

Hi @Penguin 

How do you clone these issues? Using a workflow post function? Jira Automation? An app?

Penguin June 6, 2022

From the Jira Service Management ticket in the Service Desk board, we create a linked item in the Jira Software project board.

When you do this, the Description field of the service ticket is cloned automatically into the Description field of the Development task, and then you can make further edits if you wish afterwards.

But, all images ad files are displayed as placeholders after cloning, even though they are still there as attachments, but we don't want this.  In the original service desk ticket, the images were displayed inline - should be the same in the development task.

And, often (not always), if you try to edit the text in the development task, the edits are not saved and a pop up notification tells you that the text is invalid and all you can do is cancel the edit, and not save it.

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2022

@Penguin I can't reproduce what you are saying.

1. I'm on a service desk on a ticket
  2. This ticket has a description
  3. This ticket has 2 attachments
  4. I create a linked issue to a software project
  5. Both attachment were copied to the linked issue

When you are referring to "inline", you are talking about images within the description? I've tried that as well. In the beginning the image appeared as a placeholder. I edited the description and did no change to it. Saved it. And the I refreshed the screen. The image was shown inline.

Was this what you were trying to accomplish?

Penguin June 6, 2022

Yes, inline means that the images are inside the description and flow with the context of the text.

Reloading and refreshing the page makes no difference for me, and this issue affects all of our team.

The images and files are always copied over as attachments, no problem with that part.

It also happens with say a text file dropped into the original description with an error log in it, again, the same thing happens - the file is in the attachments in the Jira Software ticket but is just a placeholder in the description, but in the original Service desk ticket, it can be clicked and opened from the Description.

Penguin June 6, 2022

Just opening the Description and closing again without edit does not trigger the edit failure.  An edit must be made.  But, this happens maybe only 50% of the time.  Suspect some RTF styling is being handled incorrectly maybe inside the text string in the database.

Penguin June 6, 2022

Our tickets usually contain .zip files, images, .txt, .xml or other types of text file.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events