Clone Project for JIRA add-on no longer available?

Albert Au August 21, 2015

Hi,

I'd like to be able to clone JIRA projects at my work. Essentially we'd like to set up a standard project set of configurations (boards, custom swimlanes, statuses etc), then clone it for every new project.

I've stumbled upon the list of Clone Project for JIRA on the web, but unlike the instructions mentioned, I can't find "Clone Project for JIRA" in the Find New Add-ons in the Atlassian Marketplace section of the administrative screen in my account? It just said none available, even if I generalised my term to "clone".

I've managed to download a jar file off https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-clone-project-plugin, but my company uses JIRA hosted by Atlassian, so I'm not sure how I can install a jar file... I can't even find any function to install anything in the administrator screens.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2 answers

0 votes
Betsy Walker {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2015

You can use the JIRA Command Line Interface (CLI) add-on even for Cloud instances, as described in this recipe.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2015

It is available, but only for server versions of Jira, it's not available on Cloud.  (You can't install any jars on Cloud)

Albert Au August 21, 2015

I see. So only the ones on your own server - that makes sense. But there's Atlassian Marketplace which seems to let you install without touching a jar - the instructions on the link above seems to indicate that you can install that way too?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2015

Atlassian encourage you to install via the marketplace because the plugin manager monitors it for updates to addons - if you just upload a jar, it won't be linked to the marketplace entry and hence it won't tell you if an update is available. In the background, the marketplace is simply adding a jar to your system. Cloud doesn't allow the installation of "type 2" addons - it would render it unsupportable. There's a limited list of ones you can add, managed via your account rather than directly through the markeplace. But... Cloud does allow you to run "connect" addons, and those are loaded via the marketplace too.

Suggest an answer