Clicking on 'Reset your network password' lin on JIRA Login page shows the '503 Service Unavailable'

roozadhami July 15, 2019

Hello,

We use JIRA Software 7.0.4, JIRA Service Desk 3.0.11, and JIRA Core 7.0.4 with some third party Add-ons (mainly the Extension for JIRA Service Desk). We have an issue as when users clic on the link of 'Reset your network password' the get redirected to the URL of https://itselfservice.vnsny.org/extensions/resetpassword/ which would display the following:

503 Service Unavailable

No server is available to handle this request.

Searching Google/net I found some links that associate this issue to the value of JIRA/Tomcat's server.xml' maxThreads (FYI, our JIRA's maxThreads is currently set at 150) value and also I found some URLs on the internet that they talk about changing the file of login.soy (as part of bundled jar file of jira-gadgets-plugin-7.0.4.jar in the atlassian-bundled-plugins/ directory).  My inclination is to change the value of maxThreads in server.xml file in the JIRA installation directory of /apps/atlassian-install/jira/conf and then restarting JIRA service to see if it fixes the issue but however, I am not sure if thatwould solve the problem.   Also I think that there might be a way to set the reset password link/page to work on the JIRA 7.2 GUI/Desktop portal that I I an not aware of. ANy help would be appreciated.

Bets Regards,

Rooz Adhami
IPsoft Inc.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2019

Hello.

The path you describe "/extensions/resetpassword/" is not part of Jira nor Service Desk. I believe the same vendor that provides 'Extensions for Service Desk' also provides a Enterprise Password Utility. 

Regardless, can you please find out what custom code you have is providing the password reset feature and then we can talk fixes. :) I would avoid changing the Tomcat 'MaxThreads' unless you know exactly what you're doing. I would not change the Tomcat 'MaxThreads' just for one plugin misbehaving. :) A HTTP503 is a fairly standard error code so I do not believe we know why that's happening yet.

roozadhami July 18, 2019

Hello Steven,

Thanks for your replay and I am not aware of any custom codes that our client might be providing for reset password functionality purposes. However, since we have 2 VM instances (one used for Development purpose) which are supposedly were setup in an identical format I did the following checks from the JIRA installation directory (i.e. from path of /apps/atlassian-install) in order to see what files I could find that might be related to reset password functionality:

# pwd;find . -type f -iname "*resetpassword*" -print | grep -v failed
./jira/atlassian-jira/views/resetpassword_success.jsp
./jira/atlassian-jira/views/resetpassword.jsp
./jira/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/com/atlassian/jira/web/action/user/ResetPassword.class
./jira/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jsp/views/resetpassword_005fsuccess_jsp.class
./jira/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jsp/views/resetpassword_jsp.class
Note that both the DEV and PROD machines included the 5 files listed above except that they had different ownership/file-permission settings as shown below (FYI, I am just listing 2 of the aforementioned files as examples for showing the difference in Ownership/Permissions as the other 3 files will have the same):
FILE=resetpassword.jsp
DEV-instance:
# ls -l jira/atlassian-jira/views/resetpassword.jsp
-rw-r--r--. 1 jira root 2765 Jun 12 2017 jira/atlassian-jira/views/resetpassword.jsp
PROD-instance:
# ls -l jira/atlassian-jira/views/resetpassword.jsp
-rw-------. 1 jira jira 2767 Dec 7 2015 jira/atlassian-jira/views/resetpassword.jsp
;---
FILE=resetpassword_005fsuccess_jsp.class
DEV-instance:
# ls -l jira/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jsp/views/resetpassword_005fsuccess_jsp.class
-rw-r--r--. 1 jira root 12146 Jun 12 2017 jira/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jsp/views/resetpassword_005fsuccess_jsp.class

PROD-instance:
# ls -l jira/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jsp/views/resetpassword_005fsuccess_jsp.class
-rw-------. 1 jira jira 12148 Dec 7 2015 jira/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jsp/views/resetpassword_005fsuccess_jsp.class
As shown above the files on the PROD machine are all owned by User=jira Group=jira with file-permission mode of 600 while the same files on the JIRA DEV machine are also owned by User/Group jira but the file-permission modes are set to 644 (vs 600 for PROD). Considering these 5 files might be related to password resetting function then would the change of file modes (in JIRA PROD instance) might worth trying? Please advice.

Many Thanks.

Rooz Adhami

IPsoft Inc.

roozadhami July 24, 2019

Hello Steven,

Thanks for your answer regarding "/extensions/resetpassword/" was not part of Jira nor Service Desk which ended up helping us to get to a resolution on this issue.  I am going to close this ticket and really appreciated for you looking into this.

Best Regards,

Rooz Adhami
IPsoft Inc.

Suggest an answer