Changing the color of the bar in the Timeline

MSJ September 1, 2022

I am a novice to using Jira and the color bars in the Timeline are all with the same color and I cannot find a way to change it. The instructions I read on the web do not correspond to the behavior and UI I see on my screen. Also, many instructions are related to the Roadmap, which, as I understand, is a predecessor to the Timeline...

So, what and where am I missing to be able to change the color of the bar in the Timeline, either by issue type or manually?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

Hello @jolerapps 

Welcome to the community.

Roadmaps apply to Software projects. Are you working with a Software project? It would say "software" below the project name at the top of the navigation bar on the left, if you are working with a Software project.

If you are accessing a feature named "Timeline" from the navigation pane then you are probably working with a Work Management (a.k.a. Business or Jira Core) project.

If you are working with a Work Management project, you cannot arbitrarily set the color of those bars, nor have it based on issue type.

According to the documentation here the bar colors are based on the Status of the related issue. If the Status is part of the "To Do" Status Category, the color will be dark blue. If the Status is part of the "In Progress" Status Category, the color will be light blue. If the Status is part of the "Done" Status Category, the color will be green.

MSJ September 2, 2022

Thanks, Trudy, for the response! I didn't notice much, if any, difference between Jira Work Management and Jira Software in my early attempt. Both of them only showed me Timeline and not Roadmaps. According to a response to one other question of mine, Roadmap is only part of the Premium subscription, which is not my case now, and I get it. Nevertheless, your reply is appreciated to clarify it.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2022

Hello @jolerapps 

Roadmaps is not only part of a Premium subscription.

Basic Roadmaps is available in the Free and Standard subscriptions for Jira Software projects. Advanced Roadmaps is only available in Premium subscriptions.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events