• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Changing the Epic Key to match the Epic Name

example.pngThe first two epics I created have matching key's/epic names. However, I accidentally created a duplicate and now the numbers are off. Is there a way we can edit the epic key's to match the number listed in the epic name?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Scott Theus Community Leader Apr 08, 2019

Hi @SGS_Admin ,

These keys are system generated, I do not know of any way to change them, if you are in the Cloud. If you are on server you may be able to update the key with a script. (I’m on the Cloud, so I’ve never needed to.)

-Scott

Thanks for your response! Another related question, I deleted epics assuming that the next number would be the same as the one deleted but now it skips (Eg. 1 2 - new numbers are 9, 10, 11) is there a way to reset that or is it the same as with the epic keys?

Scott Theus Community Leader Apr 09, 2019

Unfortunately its the same.

Ok understood. Thanks for your help.

Scott Theus Community Leader Apr 09, 2019

Happy to help :) 

Could you click the “This helped me” button so others can find it easily?

Hello,

In Jiracloud, you actually can.
Edit: You cannot. I did not read carefully. Steps below are to update the Epic name to match the "summary" field.

1. Open the issue (Epic) on the new window
If I'm right, the URL should be without the project name in it.
Ex: https://myspace.atlassian.net/browse/KEY-2

2. You should have a message saying that you can switch to the old view if you want.
Click Yes. If not, add "?oldIssueView=true" at the end of URL.

3. Click on the edit button. You will have the Jira server issue -like and so you will have the field "Epic name" field. This is the issue key (based on project key, ofc)

4. Update it, save, close, switch back to the new interface and enjoy!

Iswaren

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

4,488 views 5 15
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you