Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing my email to another one previously registered

Rubén May 19, 2022

I've been using Trello for a long time, and I used to have an account registered there. Later, I created a new email and started using Trello with it, but this email is going to be discontinued very soon, so I want to change all my current data to the previous email I had at first.

I already deleted the account in the previous email, but when I request to change it I keep receiving an email saying that the action couldn't take place.

I deleted my account today, so I don't know if maybe I have to wait a couple of days until I'm able to change it back. I'm 100% sure that I don't need the stuff from my previous account, if that can speed things up.

Thank you for your time!

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, most of your assumptions here are correct.

You can only swap the email address to an address that is not in use for another Atlassian account already.  The email address for an account is unique.

In theory, deletion of an Atlassian account is instant, with most of it going way pretty much as you confirm the delete.  But, some Atlassian systems do not have direct access to the account directory, for several reasons, and they do things like "scrape it once a day/week to see what has changed".  They're playing "catch up" with the directory.  For that reason, yes, it may be a while before you can re-use the email for another account.  I'd give it at least 24 hours and try again then.

Rubén May 21, 2022

Hi! Thanks for your answer. It's been some days, I've requested it again but I received the same email as the first day: can't change it because it's already linked to another Atlassian account. What should I do next? Thank you for your help!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2022

Ok, I wouldn't expect to need more that 36 hours for an account deletion to work its way through everything, so I think we need to look at the accounts in more depth.

Is the Atlassian account that uses xyz@abc.com definitely completely deleted?

Rubén May 23, 2022

No, it isn't completely deleted yet. I've tried logging in to check if there's anything else I can do, but when I log in my previous email there's a message that says that my account will be deleted, my only two options are cancel it or sign out so that the deletion proceeds. Sent the email once more today, again it says that the action is not possible. I guess I have to wait until the account is 100% deleted? It says that until June the action won't be performed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2022

Hmm, that's odd, it only took a few hours last time I deleted an Atlassian account (overnight - did it in the afternoon, was still there in the evening, gone by the time I'd had enough coffee to look at a computer the next day)

Have you signed out (so that the deletion proceeds)?

I know June is only a week tomorrow, but a week sounds like a long time, especially as you've already given it more than enough time to be deleted.  I think we might need Atlassian to take a look, see if we can hurry that up.

Rubén May 24, 2022

I logged out both in Atlassian and Trello, tried to send the email but once again, tells me that the action couldn't take place because the email is already associated with another Atlassian account.

I think maybe Atlassian doesn't permanently remove it because of the weeks you're given for changing your mind and cancelling the deletion, so until this "chance" expires maybe I won't be able to do the change.

If it helps, I'm 100% sure I want to delete this old account and move my current one to that, because my current email will expire soon in June. Thank you VERY much for your help!

0 votes
Rubén June 6, 2022

My previous account was finally removed, and supposedly the email was finally changed... but now when I log in, I have the previous Trello data, and everything that I was currently working with has disappeared.

Tried logging in with the email that was going to be terminated, but Trello doesn't detect it as an active account. Have I lost everything?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2022

Ok, you're still working with two different accounts here.  

You had an account (let's call it Rubén-A) but you created a new one (Rubén-Z).  (And then there was some stuff about moving email addresses around, but it sounds like that is sorted now)  

Both Rubéns have done some work in Trello, but it's important to understand that they are two separate entities - Trello doesn't know that it is the same human behind both accounts.

You've managed to get back into Rubén-A so you now have access to their stuff.  But to get into Rubén-Z's stuff you are going to need to log in as Rubén-Z.  If you do that now, you should be able to invite Rubén-A into the workspaces, and then stop using Rubén-Z

Rubén June 22, 2022

Hi, I'm really, REALLY tired of this Trello-Atlassian thing. Sorry if I don't sound too polite, but this issue is starting to damage my mental health. I started my account from zero, re-did all my tasks and everything I lost, and suddenly out of random I receive an email saying that I have to confirm my current email.

I did so, and now AGAIN I can't log into my Trello account. When using my email and password it says that the user doesn't exist, although it's the same one I've been using for a couple of weeks already, and this happened right after confirming my email.

I swear I can't be more disappointed at this app, why did I even got this confirmation email in the first place if after confirming it removes my account?? Makes no sense at all. I should've just ignored it. I know it might look like I'm just messing around with my emails, but trust me I've been working with computers my whole life and this is just desperate, I mean I can't believe I'm once again here posting this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2022

I'm sorry, I'm very confused on what you've actually done here.

The confirmation email will have arrived as you created the new account, before you do anything in Trello with it (you can't use a new account until it is confirmed).  My best guess is that you were logged into Trello with the old one and carried on using that until the session expired.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 25, 2022

Hi,

I would recommend reaching out to the Trello Support team directly in https://trello.com/contact

They will be better able assist in removing your account if you like.

Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events