Change "Issues" to "Product Backlog" ?

Joshua Partogi July 3, 2013

Hi,

I plan to use JIRA for teaching a Scrum team. It doesn't seems to make sense to use the term issues for teaching a Scrum class. I prefer to use the term "Product Backlog" instead. Is it possible to change the label Issues to Product Backlog in JIRA/Greenhopper?

Thank you for your assistance.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2013

Hi Joshua,

There is a plugin currently in Beta release that allows you to translate most JIRA items on the fly: InProduct Translations. Please give it a try.

I hope that will help,

Best Regards,

Mirek

YC Lian July 3, 2013

+1

That's the best we can do.

0 votes
Joshua Partogi July 10, 2013

Thanks everyone. I understand that JIRA originated as an Issue tracker and in some case it actually does not make sense to use it for Product Backlog management even with Greenhopper plugin. But I have found that it is a really solid product regardless the irrelevance.

0 votes
YC Lian July 3, 2013

@Joshua, GreenHopper actually uses "Backlog" for "Product Backlog". I however do not notice the use of "Sprint Backlog", PBI and similar/relevant Scrum terminologies to address issue/issues.

Afterall, GH (historically and technically speaking) is just an extension to enable Agile functionalities on top of JIRA. There's still a limit on how much it can do.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2013

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about when you say "issues" as it's quite a generic term within the Jira world. But two places spring to mind:

1. The generalised use of "issue" throughout Jira

Well, you could change it by using the "customising text" trick - not in the UI (yet), but you can change the language Jira uses.

However, I really don't think this change makes any sense. If you change "issues" to "product backlog", then you're suddenly going to see "product backlog"s with a status of "closed". You'll see things like "report on product backlog" littered through the system, and not necessarily having anything to do with the backlog.

2. The issue type of "issue"

That's easier, you can rename it to whatever you want. But it still doesn't feel right - you'll still get "product backlog" with inconsistent status (if it's a backlog, why's it been resolved and closed?), and I don't think it makes sense when you look at it alongside the other types - feature, bug, task, product backlog, question...

Those two said, I'd point out that most people regard "product backlog" as more of a status than an issue type.

Suggest an answer