Change issue type has changed

Chris Wallis March 2, 2021

Hi,

When we change an issue type, historically this would be completed on the same page as the issue (click on the issue type, click on the type to change to).

Recently without any changes to our configuration, we now find that we have to complete a 3 step "wizard" like process to make the same change - this is done starting with the page "MoveIssue!default.jspa"

We notice that changing from a "Bug" to an "Enhancement" causes this to happen, but from an "Enhancement" to a "Bug" this does not happen.

Can someone advise whether this is the result of a code change in JIRA, and if so how would we ensure our field types are all configured so that this does not happen?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2021

It has always worked this way but the rules that trigger it may have changed in Cloud.

The issue type can only be directly edited if the configuration for the source and target issue type is the same - that used to be that both issue types are set to use the same workflow, custom fields and field configuration.  If they are different, then you have to go through a migration, as you've seen. 

ow it's a bit more clever and looks a bit more closely at the fields - you seeing the change from Bug to Enhancement become a migration but not in the other direction implies that there's probably a field for bug that isn't (visible) on enhancement.  The migration therefore wants to check and tell you that you'll be losing that data, but going in the other direction doesn't need migration because you won't be losing anything or have to fill in the field.

So my best guess is that one of your admins has changed one of the issue types so that they're no longer using the same setup.

I mention a rule change because it might also be that Atlassian have changed the rules from fields and workflows to something else which has started to catch your case now.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2021

Note too that the method has changed in the new issue view which we will all be relegated to this month. In the NIV you click on the type icon.

D9AF6571-A9A0-495D-AB66-A98D581031C1.jpeg

Like Darren Newberry likes this
Chris Wallis March 2, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- thanks.  I don't believe any admin made a change, but it helps to know to look for hidden fields on enhancement.

@Jack Brickey thanks.  We're already using the new issue view - your screenshot shows what I'd tried to describe a little more clearly!

Thanks both for your help.

Niklas.johansson-miglavs March 22, 2021

Hi!

I had the same problem and have been trying to find a solution for it. Didnt find any solution but i found this: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Change-issue-type-goes-to-Move/qaq-p/1156580

Seems to be a bug in JIRA Cloud: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-76186

Suggest an answer