Change issue status when sub-tasks meet certain criteria

Andrei Sirotin December 16, 2020

I would like to make it so that when a task has a Waiting status and all tasks that block it are resolved, then that status would automatically turn to In Progress

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2020

Hi @Andrei Sirotin

I've put together an example for you on how you achieve this.

example.png@Alexander Pappert was pretty close with his example.

You start with an Issue Transitioned trigger and choose the resolved status as the To status. In my example project, this is "Done". 

We then branch onto the issues it is linked to. In particular, I've chosen the type "blocks", so we'll only branch on issues that the resolved ticket blocks.

Next, we don't know if there are other issues also blocking this one or not, so we can't just transition it. However, we're now in the context of that issue, so we do a check on it.
In this case, we use the Related Issues condition.

We chose linked issues and the type "is blocked by" to find all the blocking issues, not just the one that triggered the rule. We then include JQL to ensure that all of them are resolved, as in the example above. If that is passed then we can transition our issue.

Hopefully that helps.

Cheers,

Simeon.

Andrei Sirotin December 16, 2020

Thanks a lot :D

Will test it out when I can.

Like Simmo likes this
0 votes
Bohdan Lozinskyi September 15, 2021

Hi All! How to create Automation rule : When certain sub-tasks(not all) are done → move parent to Done

Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 15, 2021

Hi @Bohdan Lozinskyi ,

How do you determine the certain sub tasks?

Bohdan Lozinskyi September 16, 2021

For example, when only half of those used in this project sab-tasks have reached the desired status, in this case, the parent ticket needs to be transferred to the next status, no matter what status the other half of the subtasks are in.

Simmo
Atlassian Team
September 16, 2021

If you can express the condition in JQL then you can use the above approach with the related issues condition using either all match or some match on your JQL.

0 votes
Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2020

you can use script addons like

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215460/automation-for-jira-server?hosting=server&tab=overview 

you can build rules here

https://docs.automationforjira.com/rule-playground/index.html#/ 

your blocked tasks are issue links?

then you could use a rule like this

when the link changes to done, then it changes his links to status done

grafik.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS