Change default issue link type in Jira Plans

Adam Taylor June 21, 2023

I use Jira plan view to see a sort of Gannt of when different epics are due to be delivered and the dependencies between them.

At the moment, if I click and drag a link between two issues its automatically creates a 'blocks' link.

To use a different link type, for example 'has to be done before', I have to click add link icon next to the issue on the Gannt view, select the link type and then type the issue name / number to make the link.

My question is... is there a way to change the default link type so that, when I drag a connection between two issues, the link type is 'has to be done before'?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2023

Yes, that can be changed if you go to Settings > Products > Advanced Roadmaps dependencies. From here you can set the default link type and also add more if needed.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 29, 2024

Hi @Mikael Sandberg  - Can you provide a screenshot of how to do that? Because I don't see a way to do it. I have changed the order of the issue links, but it always defaults to the alphabetical one first no matter what the order. 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2024

Hi @John Funk,

So it only work if you have a single dependency specified. I you have multiple it will pick it based on the alphabetical order as you discovered.

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 8.58.39 AM.png

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events