Chage JIRA Cloud Feature in workbook 1 changes in workbook 2

Terry Thomas July 27, 2022

I have utilized Jira Cloud interface for Excel.  Defined a filter and select the needed fields.   I then copy Workbook 1 to Workbook 2.  In Workbook 2, I change the filter.   The Filter in Workbook 1 is now changed.

Why?

2 answers

0 votes
june.canete September 21, 2022

We are experiencing this exact issue. To help with planning, we created a MS Excel workbook as a template with 2 worksheets for teams to use. Sheet 1 (titled Team Name) uses Sheet 2 as a reference. Sheet 2 (titled Raw Data). Sheet 2 has a JQL query that contains a team name. The intent is that each team would save a copy of the workbook and update the JQL query with their team name to pull data. 3 teams have saved the workbook and changed the JQL query to change the team name to theirs. However, what this is doing is somehow changing the JQL query in the template and the other saved workbooks. So, the template and any saved workbooks changes to whomever changed the JQL query last in their own copies. If any of the 3 saved workbooks update their query to another team name, this same query is now populating in the copies and the template. I hope this makes sense. 

What we would like to know is what data does the plugin refer to and how does saving a copy of a workbook template, changing its query, change the query for all workbooks that spawned out of the template?

Terry Thomas October 12, 2022

Nobody seems to have that answer.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What do you mean by "workbook"?

Terry Thomas July 28, 2022

Excel workbook file.  Need to understand why but it appears that a Query defined in the import of one workbook has a unique identification because changing it has impact on a second workbook that has been copied: 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2022

Thanks for clarifying, I had to ask because I've gone off completely the wrong way when someone said just "workbook" more than once, and I didn't want to waste your time!

I suspect your two workbooks are linked to the same saved filter in Jira, so they are both edited one single object in Jira when you change the filter in them.  You'll need to edit one of them, changing the pointer to the linked filter, not the filter itself.  Once they're pointing at different filters, edits won't affect the other workbook.

I would totally understand and EXPECT that changes to a saved query would in fact reflect changes.  I'm not even using saved filter.   Go into the Workbook(WB)1 and define a query: 

issueKey in (GIV-79001,GIV-90812,GIV-103680,GIV-110006)

Copy WB1 file to WB2.

Edit the above query in WB1 and it will change in WB2 and vice versa.

In fact, I have a second scenario:  WB3 does use a saved filter.  Copy WB3 to WB4.   Go into WB4 and change to different saved filter and WB3 will be updated - very concerning/confusing.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2022

It's not confusing - your workbooks are configured to change shared objects.

You have my attention.... I will need to dig into this further.

Terry Thomas July 29, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I have poked around and don't find any reference to changing this configuration - would you have ready references?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2022

I'm afraid I don't know how the app is injecting shared filters into your workbooks, so I'm a bit stuck!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events