Card come back in done column after bulk change

Jean Honlet July 2, 2021

I have a Kanban board. And my column "done" is limited to card modified the last two weeks (great feature).

When I remove a component, that trigger a change on a *lot* of cards. And since those cards become "modified", all those cards came back in the "done" column for two weeks.

How to "hide" those cards in that column?

I thought about modifying the board filter, but that change also all the graphics. Any other solution?

Expected: the card "resolved" a long long time ago are as hidden as are the card "modified" a long long time ago.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jean Honlet July 2, 2021

Two points came out of the conversations (thanks all!)

- The label seems indeed to be misleading: "Hide completed issues older than 2 weeks" seems to refer to "Hide completed issues updated more than 2 weeks ago".

- When deleting a component, that thus implies a change in the cards (=> "modified xxx ago")

I propose myself to add a "quick filter" on top of the board to hide "completed items" to workaround this problem:

(resolutiondate > startOfDay(-2w) AND statusCategory = Done)
OR (resolutiondate is EMPTY)

(See in "Board Settings" => Quick Filters)

image.png

This add a quick filter on top:

image.png

This filter fix the behavior, without changing any graphic...

2 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2021

Hi @Jean Honlet ,

To me, your case is really frustrating. The "Hide completed issues older than" feature does exactly that. It hides completed issues. Can you please share any screenshot with use? I would really like to see:

• Board's general & filter settings, and particular its filter and subfilter
  • Screenshot of the change you are making on one issue

Thank you,
Alex

Jean Honlet July 2, 2021

Here is the board general setting

image.png

The change I did make is:

going to "component" => delete component => this change old card as new card. Both come back to the board.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2021

Thank you Jean!

First of all, let me say that I was wrong! This feature hides indeed all the modified issues older than two weeks (and not just the completed)!

So my proposals are:

• Modify the board filter/subfilter
  • Create a new board with a new filter/subfilter so as to hide these issues
  • Create a new version, place this version to all these issues and then release the version
  • (wait for 1 -2 weeks without editing them, and they will get hidden after that time)

Hope that helps :)

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2021

Alex, where did you find info that the sub filter algorithm also means ‘an not modified…’?

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2021

Jack I don't really understand your question. But I'm sure that Jean could use the updated field to modify the results of the kanban (with all that comes with this change).

If you are referring to the "modified less than two weeks", it is stated on the kanban board on the "done" column.

modified.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2021

Yes that is what I was looking for! TBH, I have never noticed that before. I probably just wasn’t being observant. Or maybe it is something new-ish? Regardless I really don’t like that feature. I like hiding issues older than via sub-filter but I don’t understand the use of modification to make issues reappear. For me, When issues are closed and old I don’t want to see them on my board even if they happen to get modified which to be honest should rarely happen.

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2021

I think this "update" feature is from 2018 :/

I mean you can see that Adaptavist tried to catch up with Atlassian changes [https://productsupport.adaptavist.com/browse/PCDEV-727]

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2021

Ha! Yes me being non-observant. :(

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2021

It's ok dude. I mean you are all over the place providing great answers! It's ok to lose some bits of info from time to time. Personally, I just found out about this feature as well. But knowledge is knowledge!

So @Jean Honlet my proposals to your problem still stand. Look up to the very first comments. :)

Jean Honlet July 2, 2021

Thanks you for all your comments and your support! Great to read :-)

So it is the correct behavior...

To avoid the whole work of a second board, I will add a quick filter on the top of the board...

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2021

Hi Jean,

I am not familiar with the behavior you mentioned - "done" column is limited to card modified the last two weeks. Is this a TMP or CMP? In TMP there is a rule to age done issues after 14d such that they are hidden from the board. I would not expect them to reappear if the old issue is modified as I would assume the underlying ‘hide’ rule is based on ‘if issue status = done for >= 14d’ and not based on ‘if issue status = done for >= 14d and last updated >= 14d’.

Jean Honlet July 2, 2021

I don't know about TMP or CMP projects... Where can I find that information?

In my "Kanban board", I have this setting:

image.png

This "hide completed issues older than" is frustrating, since suddenly, the modification of all cards make them... younger than a week.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2021

This is CMP. I don’t understand why modifying done issues would make them reappear. The “hide completed issues older than” feature should not be impacted by editing a completed issue. I feel like there is something else causing this. What does your main filter look like? Are you sure the only thing being modified is removal of a component? Also, why are you modifying closed issues at all?

Jean Honlet July 2, 2021

Thanks.

Modifying old issues is a side effect of deleting a component. If the component is associated to old issues, they became "modified less than two weeks ago" ... and thus reappear...

I think the filter is "modified two weeks ago", and not "completed two weeks ago"?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2021

I would like to confirm your theory in your last sentence. Why do you think that other than observation here?

Jean Honlet July 2, 2021

Great: I like to be challenged - that bring us closer to the truth :-)

Took me sometime to find out how to check my theory, but it was simple to see:

image.png

This is when I deleted my component...

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders