Cannot update BigPicture (suggested manual plugin installation fails)

Henning Steinhorst June 7, 2022

Hi there,

today I renewed our Atlassian licenses to update our addons. Unfortunately, after updating BigPicture with the Jira-Plugin-Manager the addon refused to work and told me I should uninstall the addon, install the version 8.1.12 manually and go on with the plugin manager updates from there.

OneStepBack.png

However, I cannot manually install BigPicture because of an "unexpected error".

pluginManagerError.pngI found this in the ppm-errors.log

Caused by: com.softwareplant.util.storage.dbupgrade.NoUpgradeTasksContinuityException: Database upgrade is impossible because of the lack of upgrade tasks continuity. Current database version is: 106 but next Upgrade Task version is: Optional[TaskCoreUpgradeTaskV28@185@DML]

We are using Jira 8.13.11

Before those update attempts we were on BigPicture 8.0.18 (which is not available on the marketplace btw). The automatic update left us with BigPicture 8.4.7.
I tried to manually install BigPicture 8.1.12 (latest 8.1.X as suggested by the addon itself), 8.1.11 (suggested by the support articles), 8.1.0 (just a test), 8.0.19 (closest to our version).

How can I repair this? Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Henning Steinhorst June 7, 2022

I contacted the BigPicture support (SUPPORT-377079) and they could provide a workaround to install that intermediate addon version.

Instead of using those plugin management screens in jira, I could copy the addon jar directly to "/var/atlassian/application-data/jira/plugins/installed-plugins/" (you should (re)move any old BigPicture addon .jar file).

After the start of jira, BigPicture did a DB schema update, jira offered the update to version BigPicture 8.4.7, another DB schema update, and now we are happyly running the latest version :)

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 9, 2022

Hi @Henning Steinhorst

Thank you for sharing the information! I am glad to hear that problem was resolved!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events