Cannot simplify worflow

Thorsten Roggendorf November 4, 2013

I added a collumn to our scrum board in OnDemand JIRA Agile but it is not possible to transition from the other columns to this one. The only way I found to add the transition is by copying the workflow and adding the transition to the copy. But I'm reluctant to throw away the workflow and use the copy, since I don't know if JIRA Agile will "approve" such a proceding. When clicking the "simplify workflow" button in board management I get this error message:

There currently exists an active workflow 'Agile Simplified Workflow for Project [...]'. This conflicts with the Agile Simplified Workflow management. Please rename or remove the existing workflow before attempting to convert project [...].

Some time ago I edited the workflow manually in order to trigger notifications on certain transitions. This may be the cause of this problem.

1 answer

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Kim Poulsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2013

I have done it as follows in a case that looks to be exactly like yours. Maybe it will work for you also.

1. Copy the stubborn workflow and workflow scheme
  2. Assign the project to use the copy of the scheme
  3. Delete the original "Simplified" workflow scheme and workflow
  4. Now you should be able to do the "Simplify" step again
  5. Delete the copy workflow scheme and workflow

If you cannot find the scheme and workflow look in the "inactive" section on those pages.

You must delete the scheme first, then the workflow. The other way around is not possible.

I don't know the reason for this happening but I also have the same suspicion as you that manual editing (as is clearly noted on the workflow itself) is discouraged.

I however see these simplified workflows as a place to evolve from, then when the statuses are okay, add pre/post functions, validators etc. on a copy, assign the project this new "not simplified flow" and delete the simplified one. It reduces the load on the admins while a poject finds out how they want to get organised.

Thorsten Roggendorf November 4, 2013

Thanks! That did it.

Kamlesh Lokeshwaran August 11, 2015

Thanks this really helped!

Deleted user August 5, 2016

Thanks a lot!

Jim Edgeton December 3, 2020

This suggestion still worked in 2020. Thank you!

Suggest an answer