Cannot modify original estimate in a started sprint

Gregory Demotchkine October 17, 2013

Why cannot we modify original estimate in a started sprint ?

I fear you'll say this is by design, this affects sprint scope, you should not have unestimated issues in sprints...

Unfortunately for us it's often the case, that the sprints starts with 60 issues, most of them have no original estimates yet, because the estimate (the analysis part) will only arrive during the sprint, and for some issues halfway through the sprint, because estimation/analysis in our case is part of Sprint Work!

Any thoughts ?

1 answer

0 votes
Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 19, 2013

Changing the original estimate mid sprint would surely affect the sprint burdown chart. Can't you just, using the log work link, enter the hours spent estimating the issue and restimating it to the number of hours it will take you? Of course the ideal curve on the burdown will not make in more sense but the burdown itself will be realistic.

Also, it might be lock from the Jira Agile board but I don't think it is locked if you edit the issue outside Jira Agile. Did you try?

Gregory Demotchkine October 20, 2013

Thanks for the rpely. Sure I could edit the issue outside of JiraAgile, but the whole point when we do our weekly meetings to to use JiraAgile to scan down the issues and update plannings / estimates using JiraAgile detail view.

I hear you about the burndown logic, but it's not a concern for us right now.

Suggest an answer