Cannot delete or move Version in Project -> Versions -> Manage version with Administrator group role

Rog July 22, 2013

Can this be correct? I need to give SYSadmin rights to delete and manage versions?? I'm getting lost in permissioning. User has Administrator Group rights and Project Admin and still can't move or manage versions

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2013

No, it's a lot more granular than that. System admins have the right to change system settings, but that's separate from Project admin rights (although a lot of places blur the lines or merge them by saying things like "if you're in the sys admin group, you get project admin in these schemes too")

• To maintain versions, a user must have the *project administration* right.
  • That is granted in the permission scheme.
  • So, it sounds like your user is not getting the "Project Admin" right in that project.

(I don't know what you mean by "Administrator Group rights" - that's not in Jira! I'm guessing you mean they belong to a group and that's used to control something, but I really can't tell)

To debug this, go to the project header where all the "schemes" are listed. Find the "Permission scheme" and check it is actually the one you think it is. Next, descend into it, and look for the "project adminstration" line. List out every entry there (like role:admins, group:penguins, project lead, etc). Then see how your user matches that list (e.g. are they the project lead, or in the group of penguins, or in the role of admins in that particular project)

Rog July 22, 2013

Thanks Nic, I checked all this and found my user does have specific Project Admin, but also has Group Administrator Rights (These are out of the box groups), and someone had changed this Group Administrator rights to their own Project scheme, with Project admins not allowed to admin the project, so this has overriden it, still haven't got my head around this yet - any links to docs for me?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2013

I'm sorry, I still do not understand what you mean by "Group Administrator rights". This is not something that Jira has. System and Jira administrators can edit groups, no-one else.

Could you explain this before we go any further, because if I don't understand what you really mean, I could tell you very wrong things.

Karla Bernal August 12, 2015

Hi! I need to delete lots of sprints/versions massively because we have more than 100 sprints. Please which is the option? I have the jira 6.4.5 thanks

0 votes
Karla Bernal August 12, 2015

Hi! I need to delete lots of sprints/versions massively because we have more than 100 sprints. Please which is the option? I have the jira 6.4.5 thanks

Suggest an answer