Can you link tasks in Greenhopper to Components in JIRA

mike whitehurst August 3, 2011

Hi,

We have recently purchased a copy of JIRA & Greenhopper to run alongside.

We've created a number of components with in JIRA and would like to know if we can link tasks within Greenhopper to these components?

For example...

We have a piece of software called wombat that is used by the company as an interface into a database. This piece of software is listed as a component in our JIRA system and we use JIRA to track and resolve any bugs that are found in this software as a result of our testing.

We now have a new seperate project that will involve a couple of changes being made to Wombat that our outside of the bugs found by the test team.

Can I link one of the Wombat tasks in the new project (stored in Greenhopper) to this Wombat component in JIRA so that it appears as a task? This way we can see all the work that is currently on going on the Wombat component as part of the bug fixing as well other work that will be taking place due to new projetcts?

Thanks,
Mike

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2011

Mike -

I may not be understanding the exact question. Are you saying you have two projects in the same Jira installation: 1) Wombat component in some main software project, with some Wombat bugs, and then 2) a Greenhopper project (in the same Jira installation) that has some Wombat work? If that's the case then it seems like you could just create a custom filter like (project = WOM or component = Wombat) that aggregates all wombat-related stuff and then make a Dashboard showing these together. Also the GH guys are working on the Rapid Board (still being worked on furiously) which would then let you have sprints that cross projects (e.g. based on a filter).

Another option is to just alter your process so that Wombat bugs get Moved into the GH project as a matter of course. Hope this helps - if your Jira and Jira/GH are two separate installations/servers then it's tougher.

0 votes
Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2011

No, I don’t believe that JIRA will be able to accomplish (out of the box), what you want to have happen.

I’m trying to think of a way to accomplish what you are looking for, but nothing is jumping out at me. I’m wondering is something like a “Found By” field in your first project, would be enough to accomplish what you are looking for. What do you think?

Suggest an answer