Can you install JEMH on JIRA that is already accepting mail.

John Juliano January 20, 2021

I need to setup JEMH on JIRA so that I can strip signature information from emails without affecting the current system until I switch the system to use the JEMH.  They will be using the same email address at least temporarily, my assumption is that I can move the email address to JEMH to handle removing the signatures while not losing functionality in JIRA.

The issue is I cannot have downtime during business hours while doing the implementation and if I have an issue I will need to revert back until I get the issue resolved.  I am assuming that is possible.

I would like to know if anyone else has done this and how the process went and what needs to change in the JIRA configuration.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

Hi @John Juliano ,

Welcome to the community. 

I think this might cause some errors. If both Email Handlers are accessing the mailbox parallel, probably only one will process the email, but you don't knis which one.

So I would suggest that you do the configuration in JEMH with a second email address just for testing purposes. 

If everything is working as expected, you can turn off the Jira Mail handler and switch JEMH to the correct email address. 

John Juliano January 20, 2021

So if I am correct, setting up JEMH will not affect the current JIRA configuration until you turn off the JIRA mail handler and move the email address from JIRA to JEMH.  That would be the best scenario where I could test in the live JIRA system, without affecting customer requests, to make sure everything is working before I switch.

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

Yes, that's right as long as your are not using the same mailbox for the Jira Mail handler and JEMH.

John Juliano January 22, 2021

I have another question.  The JIRA mail handler is using a JIRA email address, jira@{companyname}.atlassian.net.  What would be the best practice when configuring JEMH, incoming email only, or both incoming and outgoing.  The reason I ask is because I see people using the incoming email only.  I want to use JEMH to mainly strip signatures from the emails, I just don't know how the system will work even with the system outgoing set to no-reply@{companyname}.atlassian.net and the incoming disabled.

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2021

I would use only incoming mail with JEMH, if Jira default notification is ok for you.

I always try to change as less as possible. 

0 votes
Mike Harrison _The Plugin People_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2021

You can have both Jira and JEMH processing emails on one installation. However, if both mail handlers are configured to process emails from the same source, then there are no guarantees of which handler will be used - the first handler to be passed an email will process it.

In order to have predictable mail processing, you will want each mail handler to be processing emails from a different source. This could be an entirely different mail server address, or just a different folder (if using IMAP connection for example).

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events