Can we please get the function for Dark Mode?

Ruben Louwes July 12, 2022

Dear Atlassian,

Quite some time, people have suggested a Dark Mode feature in Jira. However, till this day nothing came from it.

Could you please consider making this a valid feature? There are add-ons, but these make the contrast and overall layout not look good.

Sincere regards,

Ruben Louwes
Improvers

6 answers

3 votes
Jonathan V. July 15, 2022

I just saw that the request was moved to In Progress and is going to be worked on!! This will be a great feature.

3 votes
Johanna Pichotka_APTIS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 13, 2022

I agree that Dark Mode would be awesome for the Cloud. Directly voted 🙌

2 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2022

Hi Ruben - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Nothing much we can do about that here. You should vote for and follow the request here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOUD-10584

1 vote
Amira Badran
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2022

Hello Community

Just dropping in because we have some huge news to share… we’re delivering an early access preview of our highest requested feature, a dark theme (and a new light theme as well) to Jira Cloud products.

We’ll be providing early access to themes in Jira labs, which means you get to test it out early and help us make the feature the best it can be. Once you’ve opted in to the experience, you’ll be able to switch between our new light and dark themes. We really need to call out that this is still a work in progress and you can opt out at any time.

DM roadmap.png

How to opt in to the new themes

The feature is available via Jira Labs on your Personal settings page. If you’d like to try it out:

1. Go to Settings > Personal Jira settings
  1. Scroll down the page to Jira labs.
  1. Opt in to Light and dark themes using the toggle.

At any point, you can return to the original Jira colors by opting out of Light and dark themes, just switch the toggle back off.

The majority of our products are looking pretty sweet in the new themes, but there are a few bits and bobs that are definitely a work in progress, such as Marketplace apps. It won’t affect all our users, but depending on your setup, those areas might look a little odd during the early access period.

If you find parts of Jira that don’t look quite right with the new themes, please give us feedback through the Share your feedback button on your Personal settings page.

More info on what to expect can be found here

For Marketplace Partners, please read how to migrate all of your Apps to Dark Theme here

Thank you!

Amira Badran

Product Manager, Jira Software

1 vote
Ruben Louwes July 15, 2022

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing that! However, the following occurred to me:

Ticket has been created since the 29th of June 2018. Yet, been updated on the 26th of May 2022. 

It seems a bit irrelevant for me that the ticket is quite outdated, yet it's taking four years to be implemented. Not to mention, it is having 275 up votes since 2018.

No offense, or anything personal. Just hope it gets implemented soon! Currently, I use the Dark Mode Extension (Google Chrome) which works alright.

Sincere regards,

Ruben Louwes

1 vote
Ruben Louwes July 15, 2022

Hi Johanna,

Great that we are on the same line! Working at nighttime and having this white background blasting into my eyes is definitely not a go-to ;)

Sincere regards,

Ruben Louwes
Improvers

Suggest an answer