Can we Encrypt whole Jira Database if Yes then how ?

sanjay May 5, 2021

Hi All,

Hope you are having a good time.

We are interested to encrypt whole data of Jira database so that we can have 100 % encryption at backend.

If we consider front end then data will be visible as the way it has been but at the time of storing it in the database it must be encrypted.

So can we have this functionality in Jira and is there any plugins available to achieve this functionality.

Note : I studied some Encryption related plugin from marketplace but it encrypts few things like Custom fields and Attachment in Jira but not every single data can be encrypted.

Please shower your advice and knowledge on this.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,

Sanjay Dhandare.

2 answers

1 vote
Metin Savignano May 11, 2021

In order to encrypt the whole database, you should consider to do this in the database. This isn't really an application-level requirement (unless I misunderstood your question). For example, for PostgreSQL there is PostgreSQL TDE that should do the task for you. Other databases will have similar solutions.

Possibly it is enough to use Full Disk Encryption for the storage device your database resides on. It really depends on your threat model – what exactly do you want to be protected from.

You may also want to take a look at this Stackoverflow question and its answers.   

sanjay May 11, 2021

Hi @Metin Savignano 

This is great way of thinking and I too appreciate it. If I carefully observe some content or tables in Jira database it contain some useful data and we are interested to encrypt that all to avoid any data access by any means.

This is the actual aim to have full database encryption. I will look in to the suggestion you have given and try to find the solution.

Thanks for your valuable time and suggestions.

Regards,

Sanjay Dhandare

1 vote
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2021

Dear @sanjay ,

by reading this issue, I assume it is yet not implemented in Jira.

So long

Thomas

sanjay May 7, 2021

Hi @Thomas Deiler 

You are absolutely right ! I have explored lots of Atlassian docs but didn't find any useful information.

Thanks for quick response.

Cheers,

Sanjay Dhandare

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2021

don't forget to press the "green accept answer" button to indicate other readers the successful answering of your question.

So long
Thomas

sanjay May 10, 2021

Hi @Thomas Deiler ,

Still I am expecting some more deep details on this and after that I will press the button you have mentioned.

Thanks,

Sanjay Dhandare

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2021

Dear @sanjay ,

there will be no deep details on this. No one knows if Atlassian will ever offer such kind of feature. You can raise a suggestion and see if Atlassian takes care.

So long

Thomas

Sanjay Dhandare May 11, 2021

Dear,

@Thomas Deiler 

Yes I will raise suggestion and will wait some more time.

Thanks for quick response.

Regards,

Sanjay Dhandare

Suggest an answer