Can tickets move in tandem in two different projects?

Nikhil Mohanty January 24, 2023

Can you move two issues in tandem in separate projects. We have a service desk project where the support tickets are created and they auto populate within another project where the Devs can work on them. We wanted to know if in the project that the devs work in if when they mark it done. Can it also be marked done within the service project?

Wanted to know what automation needs to be done to make this happen.

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, you can do this, if you carefully plan the mapping between the workflows in the two projects.

Automation has a load of ways to trigger functions, one of which is "issue is transitioned", so that's easy, but the action will be a bit more complex, especially if your workflows are dissimilar.

The action you want is "transition issue".  If your workflows are similar enough, it has a great feature - you can choose "copy from trigger issue".  If they are not similar, then you might have to build several automations that can be triggered by the status change.

Nikhil Mohanty January 24, 2023

Thank you. I appreciate you replying as I am trying to figure this out. 

Here is a little bit more detail. We just want it to move in tandem for when the developer finishes it.  The workflow below with "Approval Needed" In the workflow is the workflow for the Service project and the one with "Q/A" check is the one for the software project.  

I have attached automation. Is this correct? We basically want the support tickets to funnel to the developers and when they mark it done it then displays resolved in the Service Project

Screenshot 2023-01-24 225104.png

Service Project .pngSoftware Project.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2023

I am not quite sure it is right, but it looks close.

I assume this is in the Service Desk project.  It should:

1. Run when an issue is assigned to someone 
  2. Check that it is assigned (stop if it is not?)
  3. Create an issue (task) in "Global platform"
  4. Transition the new issue to the state the service desk project is in (if it can)

There is one problem I think - what happens when an issue in the service desk is re-assigned?  This rule looks like it will create another issue in the Global Platform project every time an issue is reassigned.

I can't see the detail in step 2, so I can not tell if you have protected against that.  Step 2 is the right place to put in a check, but it just says "issue is assigned" in your screenshot.  By definition, the rule only runs when an issue is assigned, so "issue is assigned" is always true, but what you need (and may have done) is check for "issue was unassigned and now has an assignee"

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events