Can the board filter be sorted by Priority to start?

Derek Prior November 8, 2012

Our team is trying to get on board the greenhopper train, but I can't figure out a way to have the backlog sort by priority to start. I've tried altering the board's filter such that it sorts by priority and then rank, but then I can't drag and drop or otherwise move issues into sprints. It seems the only ordering in the filter must be on rank.

But initially, rank seems arbitrary. I'd love to sorty by priority and then have the ability to override with manual ranking. Is this possible?

The best I can think of is to bulk change all issues that have the same priority to have the same rank value, with the Blockers having the lowest rank and Trvial's the highest. Is that my best option?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 1, 2013

@boardtc, that field that you have shown is a custom field in your instance. It is not part of a standard JIRA instance.

And @derekprior:

It is not possible to sort by priority and then leave it to be sorted by RANK later on. And I am afraid that you cannot do a bulk change for Rank field (it is not supported) :(

The only workaround for you is to define quick filters for your priorities so that you can easily locate them in the board.

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2013

@Renjth, indeed it is, my mistake, thanks for clarification

0 votes
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2012

Have you tried using the Pr# field to order the stories. Use spacing of say 10 so things can be changed later when the Product Owner reprioritises. You can then introduce order by Pr# in your saved filter behind the board.

Derek Prior November 12, 2012

What's Pr#? That does not seem to be a field in our configuration, which is mostly stock.

Derek Prior November 12, 2012

No, I cannot.

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2012

Do you see this field when you edit a JIRA?

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2012

That's strange, Pr# is a stock JIRA field...

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

Did you figure out why your Pr# field was missing?

Derek Prior December 16, 2012

No, I have not.

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

I think you need to talk with Atlassian

0 votes
Derek Prior November 11, 2012

greenhopper v6.0.5

0 votes
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 11, 2012

What version of GreenHopper?

Suggest an answer