Can the Agile Scrum planning board panel show Features in addition to Epics and Versions?

Charles Hibbard July 15, 2014

Our issue hierarchy uses Epics, Features, User Stories, & Test Cases. The current Agile add-on seems to forego Features and instead focuses on Epics and User Stories. It would be a tremendous benefit to us if we could add a Features panel and have the cards include the Feature Name (much like the current Epic Name field).

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Charles Hibbard July 30, 2014

Looks like the Scaled Agile Framework differs enough in that Features aren't as much as part of JIRA Agile than we'd like. We're currently developing a plug-in that will accomplish what we're looking to do.

0 votes
BenP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2014

How are features defined for you? Is it a separate issue type? are epics & stories linked to features?

0 votes
Andrew Wolpers [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2014

What does your filter look like for the board? So long as it isn't a sub-task, it should appear in Plan Mode. Otherwise, the sub-tasks will appear in the Work Mode.

Charles Hibbard July 15, 2014

We're closely following the Scaled Agile Framework model so there is a distinct different between Epics, Features, User Stories, etc. I'm uploading a screenshot of our planning board. You'll see the Versions and Epics panels on the left and the cards on the right. Notice the cards have labels for both the Version and the Epic associated with each issue. We'd like to expand this capability to include Features as well as Versions and Epics (and we'd like a Features panel on the left).

Andrew Wolpers [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2014

Ahhh, that's a cool setup. I'm not 100% certain on that part, I haven't tried to configure that differently before, but I'll do some snooping in my spare time today and see if I can tweak anything.

mpazz February 24, 2016

Hi @Charles Hibbard I'm Marco and We are experiencing the same need that you explained here very well (Feature Panel). Did you resolved it? Did you find any plug-in, documentation,... that could help us? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Charles Hibbard February 24, 2016

Hi Marco,

We did resolve this issue however it was done by customizing the jira-agile (greenhopper) add-on, which I do not recommend as a long-term strategy.  I’m hoping Atlassian comes up with a solution because we cannot sustain the custom solution we implemented past the product lifecycle for the agile version we used.

Good luck.

Suggest an answer