Can't upgrade Jira Software from 8.0. to 8.7

Aleksei Budnikov February 17, 2020

I have installed Jira Software 8.0 on Fedora 29 When I try to upgrade installer hung up on this step "Existing Installation directory"

[root@sv-jira user1]# ./atlassian-jira-software-8.7.1-x64.bin
Unpacking JRE ...
Starting Installer ...

This will install Jira Software 8.7.1 on your computer.
OK [o, Enter], Cancel [c]
o
Click Next to continue, or Cancel to exit Setup.

Choose the appropriate installation or upgrade option.
Please choose one of the following:
Express Install (use default settings) [1], Custom Install (recommended for advanced users) [2], Upgrade an existing Jira installation [3, Enter]
Existing installation directory:
[/opt/atlassian/jira]

1 answer

1 vote
Ganesh Babu
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2020

Hi @Aleksei Budnikov 

Indeed i think upgrading to a latest version is not the right choice. As a best practice we need to upgrade the enterprise release.

So i think for you need to upgrade your existing Jira Application to the latest version that is available in 8.0. Which is 8.0.3

Once you upgrade to the latest version, from there you upgrade to 8.5 in that upgrade to the latest release available. As 8.5 is the enterprise release.

To answer your question logs are required. If logs are provided we can look.

One reasong might be the memory issue. Lack of memory space also sometimes hangs up.

Regards,

Ganesh

Aleksei Budnikov February 17, 2020

Hi! I've tried to upgrade ti 8.0.3 but result is the same - installer hung up without any messages on the step 

Express Install (use default settings) [1], Custom Install (recommended for advanced users) [2], Upgrade an existing Jira installation [3, Enter]
Existing installation directory:
[/opt/atlassian/jira]

Jira is stopped, and tomcat too. 
By the way? Where I can find installation log?

Ganesh Babu
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2020

Hello @Aleksei Budnikov 

You can find that under var/atlassian/application data/log

Jennifer Ward March 4, 2020

@Ganesh Babu 

Are you suggesting he upgrade from 8.0 > 8.0.3 > 8.5 > 8.7.1 or are you suggesting he do the first three hops, but not go all the way to 8.7.1 at all?

Ganesh Babu
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 5, 2020

@Jennifer Ward 

As those released versions are enterprise releases (major releases) so thats the right way to upgrade Jira Application.

By doing that way we can ensure the system performance to be better.

One more thing is the plugins we would have installed. We need to ensure whether those Plugins are suitable with Jira Version.

Jennifer Ward March 5, 2020

@Ganesh Babu thanks for your reply.  I was just wondering what you were actually suggesting to the user to do- still unclear what your answer to my question is though..  I understand the enterprise releases etc..  again, was curious moreso if you were trying to deter them from going to 8.7.1?  Just an FYI, I just performed an upgrade and the path used was 7.13>8.0.3>8.7.1 and everything is successful.

Ganesh Babu
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 5, 2020

@Jennifer Ward  thanks for your reply too. I was not deterring them from doing so, and no point with that line from your statement @Jennifer Ward . I just tried to convey that a direct hop is not better when there is enterprise release. As you mentioned if that worked then thank you for the same. 

Suggest an answer