Can't see the option to create Swimlanes

Andrew Castro June 1, 2021

Thanks for your patience, I'm very new to Jira.

Creating a KANBAN board, I want to create swimlanes, sorted by Assignee. I'm the board admin but there's no option to create a Swimlane as described here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/configuring-swimlanes-938845294.html

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2021

Hi Andrew - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What type of project have you created? Most project types are very limited in how you can modify the board. 

Andrew Castro June 1, 2021

Hello John, thanks for your reply.

It's categorised as a team-managed Software Project (though the project isn't actually software-related).  

I can group the board by Assignee which is a possible work-around but I was hoping to create actual swimlanes for each Assignee, as described in the article above.

We've been using a Whiteboard with Post-Its for the past year so I'm struggling to translate this virtually.

Thanks again

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2021

Well on a Team-manage project, when you do a Group By Assignee, it is actually creating swimlanes by Assignee.  So if you have done that group by, how is it not working as a swimlane for you? 

Also, the article you cite relates to Jira Server, which is very different from Cloud Team-managed projects. You could basically get that functionality though by creating a Company-managed project in Cloud. 

Like # people like this
Andrew Castro June 2, 2021

Understood, thanks for your reply and explanation John.

Group by Assignee does indeed create the look and feel of swimlanes, but it's not the fully-fledged version of swimlanes as shown in the article above.

However, I'll assume that the type of project and server is what's preventing me from accessing the funcionality. I'll try and create the Company-managed project and see how it goes. Thanks again for your guidance! 

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2021

Yes, you are correct that the functionality is different based on the project type.  :-)

Like Andrew Castro likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events