Can't move swimlane below divider

Gary Thompson April 28, 2020

I'd like to split out low priority issues in my backlog as they're making a bit of noise. I've configured the kanban board to view simlanes based on queries, and have the low priority issues at the bottom. However, there's a divider at the very bottom and I can't seem to drag the swimlane below that divider (high priority showed there by default - I dragged it out and now can't drag any others into its place).

Anyone any ideas?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2020

Hi Gary, welcome to the Community. Can you share some screenshot of what you are trying to do so that I have a better idea. Some things in your post leave me puzzled. I’m guessing you may be on a Next-gen project.

Doh - reply below....

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2020

I looks like you have renamed "Everything else" to "low priority" maybe? What you can do is to rearrange entire swimlanes. So you can't do what you are attempting there. However, you can do the following...

• temporarily Hide low priority - create a quick filter - priority != low
  • completely Hide low priority - update the filter to exclude low priority - ... AND priority != low
  • put them in a swimlane and move the swimlane to the bottom - in order to do this you need to ensure there is no "everything else" that is, you need to ensure all issues will be accounted for in your swimlane design. in that way you will end up with swimlanes that look like this: A, B, C, Low Priority, Everything Else, but the last swimlane would always be empty.

Got you. The final swimlane is dynamic and sweeps up everything which the swimlanes above don't have included by their JQL definition.

What was confusing was, when the page loaded there was a swimlane showing underneath the catch-all, and so I was trying to drag one below. Feels a little buggy and not great UX, but hey - it works.

Cheers o/

As an aside - my final solution was to leave the first two swimlanes and completely delete the 3rd (low priority one), and also rename the catch-all to Low Priority, which will now catch everything < medium priority. Hope this helps clarify for someone.

swimlanes-final.PNG

Like Jamie Solomons likes this
Jamie Solomons September 15, 2021

This helped me with my issue too.

Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 09.27.25.png

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2020

Hey Gary,

You always have to have a catch all as the bottom Swimlane, You can filter everything out in the Swimlanes above it so that nothing ever gets there. But you can't move the catchall above any other Swimlanes. 

Dave Sage July 6, 2021

Would it not be possible to allow the requirement where a user wants the catchall swimlane to not be at the 'bottom' the functionality remains the same but the catchall could be in the middle?

I.e. Expedited at the top, Low Priority (or some other label based JQL) to be under the catchall.

This would allow for us to close the Low Priority which is under everything else.

Seems like a fair requirement but at the moment the catchall can only be at the bottom which seems restrictive.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2021

The catchall has no code/query available for it. So if there is anything under it, cards would NEVER reach those swimlanes. 

@Gary Thompson  - Did you ever get this answered for you? 

0 votes

Alas, not next-gen. For background, I've been working with Jira for over 10 years and am an experienced admin - but this one has me stumped. There are no console errors to show either.

reorder-swimlanes.gif

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events