Can't move sub-tasks to the 'In Progress' column in Work mode

Audrey Hudson April 30, 2013

I have several projects and on one I can move all the sub-tasks (no matter who they are assigned to) of stories to any column in Work mode.

However on the other projects I can move them to Done and but not to the In Progress column. I have tried changing the Permissions for these projects, but I still can't move sub-tasks to the In Progress column.

These sub-tasks are assigned to another user, not to me. I can move any that are assigned to me.

Any ideas how I can do this? I am an administrator and do need to be able to move anyone's sub-tasks.

I am using Greenhopper v6.1.3.2

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 30, 2013

Hi Audrey,

I think it might be related to the conditions of the workflow. As far as I know, in order to transition an issue to 'In Progress', the default condition in the workflow is that only the Assignee of the issue can perform it.

Hence, that's why you are unable to do so. To be able to move/transition the issue, you would have to configure the condition of the transition to 'In Progress' in the workflow.

For more info on workflows, please refer to this page - Configuring Workflows

RMJira August 3, 2020

Great, had the same question. Very helpful. Thank you Theinvisibleman

1 vote
Paul Greig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 30, 2013

Hi Audrey,

It sounds like you may have a condition set on your workflow that only allows the assigned user to transition the issue to 'In Progress'. Could you check the workflow associated to the project and view the transition leading to 'In Progress'. In 'Text' mode you will see the 'Conditions' tab which will highlight if there is a rule being applied.

If this is where the issue is occurring, there is a great guide on workflows available here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow

Cheers,

Paul

0 votes
Eduardo Fuenmayor March 24, 2016

Hi there,

I am having the same issue. I set my workflow as To do - In Progress - Done. I am trying to move a sub-task assigned to me to the in progress column and nothing: can't do it. I have system administrator permissions and all, but just can't move anything from the to do list. Any ideas?

Thanks

Eduardo

Mayra_Rodriguez August 3, 2017

Hi Eduardo, did you resolve the issue ?

0 votes
Leos Junek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2013

Thank you for the question!

Suggest an answer