Can't move (drag) tasks on Agile planning board?

Richard Hall June 19, 2012

I have two projects - one where I can drag and rearrange the sequence of tasks on the Agile / Planning board and a second where I can't. I'm administrator for both projects (can't be permissions).

What might be preventing me from sequencing the tasks for the second project?

5 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Richard Hall June 20, 2012

Tracked it down and solved it! From the Agile / Rapid Board I went to Tools / Configuration. Then I saw this setting:

Ranking Field

To rank issues within GreenHopper you must have a GreenHopper Ranking field configured.

Immediately after I added the "Rank" field I was able to drag and re-rank targets.

[0 kudos for me for answering my own question, right]

Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2012

As I said - You need to select a context, that sorts by ranking! ;)

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2012

It very much can be permissions. "Administrator can do anything" is a thoroughly broken model and Atlassian software handle it correctly - they don't do it.

Check the workflows for both projects - they might be the same, they might not.

If they're different, then you need to check that the transitions that support your drag and drop between columns are there. (e.g. in project 1 your workflow allows in-progress -> resolve, and in project 2, it doesn't)

Whether they're different or the same, check the conditions allow you. (They may well contain "administrator can do this", but they might not).

Richard Hall June 20, 2012

The workflow, permission scheme and screen schemes are common to (shared by) both projects. Can't be that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2012

Er, yes, it still can be that. Having identical workflows and permissions make finding it a lot easier, but what if a condition on a transition says "must be in role developer"? If you're a developer in one project and not the other, that would explain it. Again, "check the conditions allow you".

0 votes
Jason Kovacs May 31, 2018

Even though this is an old thread from 2012, I experienced a similar problem, and the above solutions did not help.  I found the solution to be to add the Permission of 'Transition Issues' to the Project Role of the person or group who is unable to drag/drop issues between board statuses.  The permission description of "Ability to transition issues." was not very clear on this point.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2018

That is what one of the answers tells you.

Jason Kovacs May 31, 2018

None of the answers including yours specifically mentions the 'Transition Issues' permission.  I understand that there are many permission scenarios possible, and that the original poster did not have this specific problem.  Though if someone else searches for drag and drop problems, and comes to this page, then they might try that that permission option.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2018

The answer was from 2012, around 4 years before that was introduced.  And the advice still applies - look at the permissions.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2018

Sorry, I've been very terse there, and I do not mean to be.

You are absolutely right about transition permissions applying to column moves.

I should not have written my responses like that, and I apologise (I was going to edit, but I think it's better people can see why I owe you the apology)

John Jones April 9, 2019

yeah, old but STILL A PROBLEM.  Please go vote on the potential solution at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-5977

Like jonathan_wade likes this
0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2012

Probably because you have a different setting for the these projects and uses 'Scheduling Permission' in one and the permission scheme of that does not include your account for 'Scheduling Permission' ?. See doc here

0 votes
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 20, 2012

This is probably caused by the sorting in your choosen context - I too had this problem and was quite confused about it.

You need to select a context, that sorts by ranking!

Suggest an answer