Can't move Sub-Task to In Progress

Ajda Gruden June 29, 2021

Hello!

I recently enabled sub-tasks in Jira for my team. They have the same workflow as their parent tasks.

But weirdly, I (admin permission) can move the sub-task into In Progress, but (at least one) member(s) of the team get an error message when they try to do so: "Something isn't letting us move XYZ-123 to In Progress. Ask your project administrator to check the workflow settings and transition conditions."
I checked, but couldn't find anything that was off. They can move the sub-task from the the previous statuses though, up until ToDo.

The parent task is in the status In Progress already.

I checked the transition conditions, but there are none (also no triggers nor validations).

Can you help me solve this issue?

TIA,
Ajda

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2021

Hi @Ajda Gruden

adding to what Carlos said please also check for the transition permission (screenshots did not came through fully, I think).

Also the error message is suggesting the destination status should be 'CR' but I could not recognize such workflow step from your first screenshot.

Have you checked if

1.) the workflow with its last configuration was published
2.) if there are really no conditions/validators
3.) properties like Carlos said?
4.) you are really looking into the correct workflows

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Carlos Faddul
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2021

@Ajda Gruden 

Do you have some properties in status ?

Can you send more details ?

Ajda Gruden July 2, 2021

Hi @Carlos Faddul !

I haven't changed anything with the properties (it's beyond my Jira knowledge to do so).

But here are all the details that come to my mind to share:

Sub-Tasks are in the same workflow as the other tasks (can be moved by team members) - see attached 2021-07-02 08_55_42-Window.png.

I also attached the said workflow  - see 2021-07-02 08_57_07-Window.png.

The permission scheme says that "atlassian-addons-project-access" can move issues and under application access it says "any logged in user". See 2021-07-02 08_58_44-Window.png. It's the Default software scheme.

All of the team members have roles assigned...

I also checked the Issue Type Screen Schemes and the sub-tasks are listed with the other issue types, nothing out of order is mentioned anywhere...

It's still not working for the team, they get the same error - see 2021-07-02 09_05_14-Window.png.

Are there any other relevant details I could share to get to an answer easier? 

Thank you for helping, I appretiate it!

Ajda

2021-07-02 08_55_42-Window.png2021-07-02 08_57_07-Window.png2021-07-02 08_58_44-Window.png2021-07-02 09_05_14-Window.png

Carlos Faddul
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2021

@Ajda Grudenin this case, both projects CLOUD and CR have the same permission scheme and the same team ?

This appear to bem permission.

If you want to try, use the "Permission Helper" (G+G type Permission Helper) and type user, key (Cloud-83 or um can use CR-XXX) and user the permission Move Issues.

Captura de tela 2021-07-02 093036.png

Este erro parece estar relacionado a problemas de permissão de movimentação

Maybe the filter in board ?

Ajda Gruden July 5, 2021

Hi @Carlos Faddul !

So after days of investigation of this weird "bug", where some devs could move a ticket from a certain status on the board and some not, I found out the problem was elsewhere - in the misunderstanding of the new workflow xD so the problem was, as often, in front of the computer :D lesson learned.

Thank you for your support and also thank you @Daniel Ebers !

Have a good start into the new week! I know I will :D
Ajda

Like Carlos Faddul likes this
Homiyar Watchha September 22, 2022

Ajda, I seem to be experiencing the same issue you described.  What was the resolution you discovered? Naturally, I am the problem in front of the computer.

Sincere gratitude,

Homiyar

Ajda Gruden September 22, 2022

Hi @Homiyar Watchha

My problem was that in the ToDo column of the sprint board I had 2 different statuses mapped. In the workflow, you could transition the issue from ToDo to in progress, but not from the other status (can't remember the name, let's call it Status 1) directly to in progress. You had to transition the issue first from Status 1 to ToDo, before transitioning it to In Progress.

And naturally, if you move them around manually by dragging it on the board (not by changing status in the top right corner), you don't notice...

I hope this helps :) 

Good luck!
Ajda

Homiyar Watchha September 22, 2022

Excellent.  Thank you, Ajda.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin