Can't install new license for Jira

jrtaylor-lbl-gov July 13, 2021

I have installed a new version of JIRA on a new server and want to run against my old database. When I go to the JIRA webpage I get a page entitled.

Confirm New Installation

http://bcsb-cnx-a.als.lbl.gov:8080/secure/ConfirmNewInstallationWithOldLicense.jspa

When I enter the license and hit proceed, I get an error saying the username or password is incorrect. I'm using my atlassian login and password which works when i login to https://www.atlassian.com/

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2021

Your server is not using your Atlassian account for login, your login to www.atlassian.com is irrrelevant.

You need to log in with an account that was in use in your "old database" 

jrtaylor-lbl-gov July 14, 2021

OK. Thanks for the information. Here is the problem, I was using Crowd as an account server.  I'm guessing that is my problem. Is there some documentation for that? Can I create a local admin user somehow?

Thanks for any help !

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2021

Ok, it's quite likely that your system is still trying to use a crowd-provided account and not being able to reach crowd means it can't.

Best bet at this point is recovering an internal account - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/restore-passwords-to-recover-admin-user-rights-972329273.html

Thanks for your help! Made some progress but not quite there. I was able to configure the crowd files:

atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/crowd.properties

atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/seraph-config.xml

And tell Crowd to allow connections from the new host.

Once I did that, I was able to load my new license successfully.

At that point I thought I was good but unfortunately after restarting Jira i'm still not allowed to login. Any ideas?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2021

Um, I'm a bit confused.  The doc I pointed to was about getting access via a local account, it had nothing to do with Crowd.

What happens when you try the local admin recovery account method?

I understand your confusion. That makes two of us...

I tried to get the new instance running with crowd. This required updating the license. I was successful in doing this by configuring Crowd and using my admin account. Once I restarted Jira, I couldn't login again with the same account. 

If I undo the Crowd changes and make the internal account change, I can login with the recovery_admin account but I don't see any of the old "issues".

I think it might be ok now. I re-indexed. 

Suggest an answer