Can't create new board with new project, only existing one.

yech May 19, 2021

Can't create a new scrum board from a new project, only existing one. How can I solve this?

3 answers

1 vote
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2021

Hi @yech 

Look at this post, maybe can help you

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/create-a-board/

Cheers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

Hi Yech - Let's address the real problem, maybe. What trouble are you having creating a Scrum Project? 

yech May 20, 2021

Hi John, I am not able to create a new project. So I think I might not have permission to create one. I will check with the admin and see if that is the issue. Thank you though.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

Are you trying to create a Team-managed Scrum project? Or a Company-managed Scrum project? 

And, yes, it sounds like your Jira Administrator needs to grant you permissions to create that type of project.  :-)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2021

I'm not sure why you would expect to be able to create a board from something that does not exist yet.  Could you explain what you are expecting in more detail?

yech May 20, 2021

I would want to create a new project and create a Scrum board for it. But I do not see the option to create a new project so I thought by creating a new board you could also generate a new project in that way. I am new to this so maybe I am missing something?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2021

Boards are not project artifacts, they're independent of them, but they need projects to exist before they can be created, otherwise there is no way to tell the board which project(s) to look at. 

Projects are not simple objects either, they require a lot of configuration, and the config of company-managed projects, by definition, is limited to administrators.

So, it's the other way around, you need to create a project, so you have something for a board to look at.  And most of the project templates/wizards/walkthroughs help create a board to look at the new project you've created with them.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events