Can't create a Service Desk Project

Alphouine February 5, 2018

Hi,

Sorry to bother you again, I installed Jira software and Jira Service Desk on the same server. I can't create create a support center in Jira Service desk projects. It returns me an error "Couldn't create a new project because of an unknow error. Please refresh and tries again"

I already raised a ticket about the subject in the community and they advised me to involve the support. I hope you guys can help me.

Regars,

Alpha

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2018

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know there was a previous support ticket for this. I was able to pull the support zip there and I found this exception in the logs when trying to create a new JSD project:

2018-01-30 23:02:42,284 http-nio-8080-exec-18 ERROR docmind 1382x904x1 1mj3gh7 41.242.88.32 /rest/project-templates/1.0/templates [c.a.jira.project.ProjectCreateRegistrarImpl] The handler with id com.atlassian.jira.project-templates-plugin:apply-project-template-handler threw an exception while handling a notification about a project being created
com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericEntityException: while inserting: [GenericEntity:Status][sequence,23][statuscategory,2][name,Approbation par gestionnaire de modification/évaluation par les pairs][iconurl,/images/icons/status_generic.gif][description,This was auto-generated by JIRA Service Desk during workflow import][id,10016] (SQL Exception while executing the following:INSERT INTO issuestatus (ID, SEQUENCE, pname, DESCRIPTION, ICONURL, STATUSCATEGORY) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) (Data truncation: Data too long for column 'pname' at row 1))

Basically what I think is happening is that the string 'Approbation par gestionnaire de modification/évaluation par les pairs' is too long for the field here.  I think this is a status name in Jira.  These appear to be limited to a max of 60 characters for both mysql and postgres instances of Jira.   In English I believe this translates to 'Change Manager / Peer Review Approval' (only 37 characters).

As such I think we might have stumbled upon a yet undiscovered bug in Jira Service Desk.  However first I would like to try to recreate this problem as well to see if I can better understand it.

In the meantime, I am curious to learn if perhaps you can try these steps to get around this issue.   Is it possible to switch the language of this instance from French in to English, just long enough to see if you can create a test project successfully?  This would also help us to confirm this new potential bug.

Regards,

Andy

Alphouine February 6, 2018

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. I changed the language and crossed my fingers but the problem is still here. It only happens when I want to create a IT Service Desk project.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2018

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know the results here.  I was able to replicate this problem.  As such I created a new bug for this issue in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-5645

I would recommend watching this bug for updates.  I would expect there to have to be a code change to Service Desk in order to correct this problem in the long term.

I also documented a possible work-around here:

Workaround

1. Uninstall the Service Desk from Jira (Gear Icon -> Applications -> select the uninstall option for Service Desk)
  2. Change the system language back to English
  3. Reindex
  4. Reinstall JSD - Cog Icon -> Applications -> Try Service Desk link
  5. In my case I had to restart in order to get JSD to load up properly.

At this point I was then able to create this project in Service Desk, however the statuses will be in English, not French. While you could convert the system back to French after creating this project, I do not expect this to change the status names back into a French equivalent. So this work-around is limited in its scope.

I am sorry that this appears to be a bug in Jira Service Desk, but I hope this helps.

Regards,

Andy

Alphouine February 7, 2018

Hi Andrew,

Sorry for my late answer. I went through a lot of things here lol. So I tried your method and it didn't work.

So I reinstalled the server and used this time the atlassian-jira-software-7.7.1-x64.bin version. I went to all the process :

• Install Oracle JDK 8
  • Install Mysql
  • Create a database called "jiradb" and grant all privileges to my local user "docmind"
  • Copy the mysql connector to the right directory
  • Install Jira and did all config in English
  • Perform a reindexe
  • Install the JIRA SERVICE DESK app from "applications" and applied my license
  • Create a service Desk project

And it worked. Youhou. And now I am afraid to put it in french because I don't want to mess things. I thank you for your support, we achieve a great step. Now I am wondering what is next.

Regards,

Suggest an answer