Can't change project lead

Jim Kidd September 23, 2022

Hi:

I am running two instances of Jira server, Validation & Production.

In production as a project administrator, I'm unable to change a project lead using the normal method of 

Project settings -> Users and roles -> edit defaults

However, there is no problem with doing this same in the validation environment.  I suspect there is some permission difference between them but am unsure where.  I checked both, global permissions, and the default permission schemes.  Both environments (validation & production) match.  Does anyone have other suggestions where to check?

Thanks

Jim

2 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2022

Hello @Jim Kidd 

I'm not sure about the method you are trying to use, and it has been a while since I accessed a Jira Server/Data Center system, but the Project Lead field is typically found on the Project Settings > Details page, and you should be able to change the field on that screen.

Could you provide a screen image of what you're working with? Black out names and confidential data.

Hi:

I’m running version Jira server v8.12.2.  The project settings screen doesn’t have a place to change the project lead.  That function appears in the users and roles section.  After some testing, I found this issue is not a global issue because in some projects I can change project leads and not others.  Since we use different issue type schemes, I suspect it may be related to the scheme.  Does this help?

Jim Kidd
Sr. Support Analyst

Global IT

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2022

Ah, yes, I found the related documentation.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-change-the-project-lead-on-a-project-1142427018.html

When you say that you are unable to change the project lead, exactly what are you doing and what are the results? Is the problem that you see "No Options" when you click in the Project Lead field? If so, have you tried starting to type in the name of the user that you want to assign as Project Lead?

I found this thread where multiple community members discussed problems changing the Project Lead and the various things they tried and sometimes succeeded with.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Cannot-change-project-lead/qaq-p/1388996

Jim Kidd September 26, 2022

Trudy:

yes, for some of the projects I can follow the steps of entering the userID and their name appears and is selectable.  Some projects use a different issue type scheme and this appears to be the only difference between projects where I can change the project lead, and those where I cannot.  Again my question is what controls the ability to update the project lead field?

Jim

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 26, 2022

To my knowledge, and I admit I'm not omniscient, Issue Type Scheme has nothing to do with being able to change the Project Lead for a project.

According to this document, if you are assigned the Administer Project permission then you should be able to change the Project Lead.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver0812/managing-project-permissions-1026528631.html

If you are not a Jira Administrator, I would recommend that you raise this issue to your Jira Administrators and get Atlassian Support involved.

Jim Kidd September 26, 2022

Trudy:

I actually logged in as the site admin and still couldn't update the project lead field.  And... I agree with you that the issue type scheme likely has nothing to do with changing project leads.  I might have to pass this issue on to Atlassian support for a final disposition.

Jim

0 votes

Just adding a bit more information.  In production, I can get the 'edit defaults' dialog and enter the necessary fields.  When I click the 'update' button, nothing happens.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events