Can't add story to sprint. They are always created in the backlog.

Henrik Zagerholm September 1, 2017

If I have a sprint under planning and decide to add a new story directly to the sprint is does not work. The story is created but automatically moved to the backlog. Yes, I have double checked so that it really says 'New Story in "MVP Sprint 1"' and not "Backlog".

1 answer

0 votes
Nicolas Seronvalle September 1, 2017

Hi,

So when you create a story you choose "MVP Sprint 1"  under the field sprint right? Do you get any message after creation?

Yes, I do.

No message. The page just reloads and the story ends up in the backlog. I'm runinng the latest version of JIRA 7.4.3.

I'm using JIRA as a server install. I tried the same actions on JIRA Cloud and there it works as expected. So it would be really interesting if someone else is using the server install and can see if it worls for them. If so there must be a miss configuration somewhere.

I might point out that I'm using the built in Scrum Workflow.

Alright. Yes it works also on server version as in cloud (just tested what you describe to make sure - not yet with the latest server version however). 

Could you have a look at the workflow post-function and provide us a printscreen?

Could also be a problem with the "Edit issues" and "Schedule issues" permissions. See the documentation "Adding an issue to a sprint" - "Create then add an issue to an active sprint"

Thanks for you response! I've added the screen shot which I hope you asked for. :) Took me a while to find. Also the permission sounds interesting but as always with JIRA where are those specifically found? If I look at Project permissions -> Issue permissions I can see that on Create Issue and Edit Issue it says "Application access - Any logged in user". Is that correct?

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 14.26.33.png

Also I have no trouble of moving the issue from the Backlog to the Sprint after it is created.

Nicolas Seronvalle September 6, 2017

Hi,

Did you check the permissions (see my previous comment)?

Concerning the printscreen, could you provide the "Create" transition? Because it's after creation that you have the problem.

Henrik Zagerholm September 6, 2017

Hi Nicolas,

Yes, I looked at the permissions (se answer in last comment).

"Also the permission sounds interesting but as always with JIRA where are those specifically found? If I look at Project permissions -> Issue permissions I can see that on Create Issue and Edit Issue it says "Application access - Any logged in user". Is that correct?"

BTW How do I see the create transitions?

Nicolas Seronvalle September 7, 2017

Ok, for the permissions you can find it in "Project settings - Permissions". Application accees - any logged in user means that you also have that permission. Is it the same for the "Schedule issue" permission?

To see the create transition you can select your workflow in edit mode (the diagram view), then click on the "Create" transition (should be the first arrow in your diagram) and then click on post-function.

Like Sambath likes this
Henrik Zagerholm September 7, 2017

OK, yes the schedule permission is also "Any logged in user".

Attached is screen shot of Create post functions.

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 09.19.40.png

It seems fine. Unfortunately I have no other idea of what your problem could be.

Next step is to check here  if there is a similar open issue. Else you could contact Atlassian support to check that with them (unless anyone in the community has other idea on how to fix it?).

Thanks for all your help and suggestions Nicolas!

You're welcome! When you get the solution could you write it here so we know what was going on?

Will do! FYI I installed a brand new server with new JIRA Server installed. Imported my project into the new server and it worked.

So there is something fishy about our current JIRA installment.

I also do not want to backup and restore everything to the new seerver as then I probably restore the bug too.

Suggest an answer