Can one user story be assigned to multiple scrum boards or kanban boards? If so, how?

Michael Dugan November 7, 2014

A user in my realm is asking this question.  I'm not sure of the wisdom of doing such a thing, but would appreciate any advice that could support or refute such a desire.  Thanks,  Mike

2 answers

5 votes
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2014

Hi Michael,

A board is associated to a filter, and it will show all the issues that are retrieved by the filter associated to it. So, if the filters associated to different boards retrieve the same set of issues, they will be displayed in more than one board.

There's no problem in that, just keep in mind that if the issues that are displayed in more than one board are added to a sprint, the sprint will be also shown in multiple boards, and if you complete the sprint in one board, this will be reflected in all the other boards.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Clarissa.

2 votes
Michael Dugan November 7, 2014

Clarissa,

I'm assuming that the sprint 'name' would have to be the same across all boards?  If one board closes the story, I'm assuming it's closed for all boards.  We have had some issues where an issue was in two boards with the same sprint name, and when that issue was closed one boards sprint was sent back to the backlog.

Mike

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2014

The boards are just views into your issues, so the Sprints you see on a board can exist on multiple boards (the Sprints you see on a board are shown based on the issues retrieved from that filter - if an issue belongs to a Sprint, and that issue is retrieved in the filter for multiple boards, that Sprint will show on multiple boards). So, Sprints are global objects, and the reason the issues were sent back into the backlog on the other board was that it was the same Sprint. It's important to keep this in mind when viewing issues across multiple boards

Suggest an answer