Can notifications be set as optional when editing a JIRA description

Deleted user August 16, 2017

The watchers are getting numerous email notifications when the description of a JIRA is updated.  I would like the notification to be set as optional so the person saving the JIRA can decide if the email notifications are sent.  Is this possible? If so can someone please point me in the right direction.

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2017

No that's not possible. It would also work against the watching functionality. If a user decides to watch an issue, this issue is so important for him that he wants to be notified on every single update. 

If the updater would be able to suppress the notification, watching an issue would make no sense.

Deleted user August 16, 2017

Thank you for the reply Thomas.  I asked because that facility is available in Confluence and I am suprised its not avaiable in JIRA.  I was hoping someone could advise me of a work around using the Notification Schemes.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2017

Yes, you're right. In Confluence you are able to to that. 

But I don't know a way to do that in Jira. Of course you can adjust the notification schemes, so watchers aren't notified by certain events but there's only one "Issue updated"-Event that will be fired, if a description is changed. And I think, you won't disable this in general.

You can remove watchers from "Issue Commented" if that helps, but it will not disable the notifications coming from updating the description.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2017

The @mention is the method of making notifications optional and I use it that way all the time. Notifications can become overwhelming for sure.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events