Can new issues always go to the bottom of the backlog on a scrum board?

Lisa Stevenson June 27, 2013

Hello

Several people are always adding to the backlog and this is becoming a problem when the backlog is already in a priority order. As new issues are added, then the backlog will get mixed up and it is impossible to track what was where before the new items were added.

Can we force when a new item is added to always go to the bottom of a scrum backlog on the planning board?

I know the workaround is that you need to select the existing bottom issue on the backlog, then create a new issue, to ensure the new issue gets added to the bottom. But this is not a fail-safe solution and our backlogs are becoming unmanageable.

Thanks in advance

Lisa

Agile Coach

8 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Danielle Zhu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2013

I am pretty sure the default behavior is that a new item gets added to the bottom of the backlog. Is it not like that for you?

Correction: Since GreenHopper 6.1.2, a new feature was added so that newly created items immediately below the currently selected item. Honestly I prefer the old way where everything is added to the bottom by default.

3 votes
James Ratcliff August 15, 2016

Three years later, do we have any assistance for this, becoming a major blocker for our organizations use of Jira.

1 vote
Troy Liesinger February 13, 2015

We are having issues with this too. It would be great to have this a configurable setting.

1 vote
Chris Beaman February 9, 2015

Just Googled for this and am encountering the same issue. Is there any way to force newly added items to go to the bottom of our backlog? Our backlog is prioritized from top to bottom.

0 votes
Arnold October 25, 2016

retrain the users not to use the Create button (which does insert below the currently-selected backlog item)

Instead, teach them go scroll to the bottom of the backlog (or future sprint) and click the "+ Create Issue" grey text (this is in both JIRA 6 and JIRA 7).

I prefer this way of working because "product backlog items are placeholders for a conversation" and when you type and tap return, all the user is doing is populating the Summary field.

The Product Backlog contains two queues:  coarse and fine, or not-yet-refined and refined (done using Backlog Refinement).  So simply entering a single line is following method: it's a placeholder for a conversation, and you'd flesh it out later.   Also, they can always go into the item and add details anyway (but agility/lean does require Just In Time analysis so the Agile Coach should be ready to spot this and encourage them not to do this just yet: use retrospectives to flesh out this part of the process as required, but initially just implement a minimum viable way of working:  Agile Principle #10 states that "Simplicity ... is essential" - the more full text is "Simplicity - the art of maximizing work not done - is essential".

in Summary:  don't use the Create button:  it's way too tempting to populate all those fields (that I bet the JIRA Admin hasn't yet gotten around to redesigning the Create Issue Operation Screen wink; just as I bet all those superfluous out-of-the-box IssueTypes haven't been rationalized either...winkwink )

John Bellini July 17, 2018

Move is affected by this as well.  So although what you mention works for create it won't for move.

0 votes
Tommy Quitt December 13, 2015

Has this changed by any chance?

Would would be the right way to teach users to create BL items without the new items cluttering the Backlog?

Thanks, Tommy

0 votes
Lisa Stevenson July 4, 2013

Thanks for the reply. I will just have to live with it.

0 votes
Lisa Stevenson June 30, 2013

No Danielle it is not. Maybe it can we and our adminstrators need to do this setting somehow. Would you know how?

Danielle Zhu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2013

Lisa - I don't think there is such a setting yet. See my updated answer above. I'd much rather not having this new feature.

Suggest an answer