Can modifications to a bug be stopped once the final (Closed) status is reached?

Holloway Winfred January 26, 2021

Is it possible to remove the capability for a user to update a bug's fields once the bug's final (closed) status is reached and a Resolution has been assigned? 

And if it is possible, would that keep the bug from being reopened?

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2021

Hi @Holloway Winfred 

You can achieve this by using workflow properties.

Please follow the instructions below to get the requirement done :-)

Have the separate workflow for Bug Issue Type

In the last Status i,e closed you can have jira.issue.editable property set to false, the recommended way is to set the editable permission to a role/group (either Jira administrator or project administrator) using property  jira.permission.edit.group or jira.permission.edit.role

For Example

jira.permission.edit.group=jira-administrators

Thanks,
Pramodh

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2021

FYI,

If you have not edited the bug workflow, usually the workflow for the bug issue type is separate

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2021

Hi @Pramodh M ,

Thanks for the detailed information.

Thanks.

Like Pramodh M likes this
Holloway Winfred January 27, 2021

Yes, thank you for the additional details Pramodh.  I do have a separate Bug workflow,

I implement this solution, thanks again.

One last question Pramodh, do you foresee an issue of resetting the "jira.issue.editable property to 'true' in a "Re-Open" transition?

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2021

That's a good practice, although you may want to limit the transition to certain roles or groups in here.

Pramodh, I'm not sure where to implement the "jira.issue.editable=false" property update. 

Would that be set up by selecting the "View Properties" field associated with the applicable Transition on the Workflow Text (edit) page, which goes to a "Add New Property" page? 

Then by 'adding a new Property'; and placing  "jira.issue.editable" in the Property Key field, and "True" or "False" in the "Property Value" field?

0 votes
Answer accepted
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2021

Hi @Holloway Winfred ,

By using default Jira Template we can't make it possible.

There may be possibilities with Adaptive Script Runner I think.

Please check with their documentation.

Thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events