Can link issues to another JIRA project, but can't create linked issue?

Larry Barker July 11, 2017

Hello, 

So I have integrated 2 JIRA environments.  1 Cloud, the other on-premise.  The JIRA Service Desk cloud environment is able to see the target project in the on-premise JIRA instance when we just want to link an issue to another issue in that environment.  However, if we try the 'create linked issue' option we can't see even the target project any longer.   I have admin rights in both environments along with create/link issue rights in the target project.

Any ideas as to why we could maybe see it in the first case, but not the 2nd?

Thanks,

Larry

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2017

"Create linked issue" is for creating an issue in the same JIRA system.  So it will be able to create issues in the projects in your Cloud system.

It's not for creating remote issues, so it won't touch your Server install.

Larry Barker July 11, 2017

Ugh, seriously.   Thank you for pointing that out.  So you can link to external JIRA systems but not create a ticket.  Sigh.  Anyone else out there pushing tickets from a JIRA ServiceDesk to a segregated 3rd line bug tracking instance?

Years ago we pushed from Salesforce cases to JIRA, and most recently from our Zendesk environment to JIRA.   If JIRA can't even push a ticket to another JIRA instance, I'm going to have to rethink migrating away from Zendesk.

Like Ammar Asjad Raja likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2017

That is just the issue linking - JIRA needs an issue object at both ends of a link, which you can't do because the remote thing won't be an issue object.

But, yes, we do exactly what you describe in more than one place.

The basic set up we use is:

1. Install Script Runner (you can do this with other add-ons, or write your own, but you do need a bit of code somewhere)
  2. SR can implement a web-fragment which can be inserted on a JIRA screen, and it runs a script when clicked
  3. The script makes a simple REST call to the other JIRA to create an issue, and includes a web-link on the source issue to the new issue that was created in the remote system

That third step is roughly the same as what your Salesforce and Zendesk things are doing.

Larry Barker July 13, 2017

Thanks Nic,

I've chosen to go with an addon to achieve this.  It seems to work out ok.   Thanks for all your input.  I'm also fiddling with script runner.

Nikhil Kundra June 25, 2018

Which add on did you go with @Larry Barker? Having similar trouble here despite having all permissions for Create and Linked issue set up.

Ammar Asjad Raja November 7, 2018

@Larry Barker which add on you used?

Suggest an answer