Can created sub-tasks get assigned same status as parent?

aduro May 15, 2012

Right now, when a developer creates a sub-task under a parent Story, the sub-task is assigned an Open status. Many times these sub-taks will get created while the story is In Progress. Is there a way that I can make the sub-task get the same status as the parent Story? I have a feeling this may be workflow related, but I don't know where to start to handle this kind of workflow.

Any help is appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2012

You will need a post function on the Create transition of subtasks which will push it into the same status as that of parent.

The post function can be done using a groovy script or something but the tricky part is have transitions from the Open state in sub-task to every possible state where the parent can be in! For example, you won't be able to transition from Open to status X on the subtasks if the parent is on status X unless you have a transition for it in the workflow.

It will be straight forward if the workflow is simple but will be complicated when you have 10 or 15 statuses!

Suggest an answer