Can an issue be in multiple sprints at the same time?

Jacques Gingras February 27, 2014

I am trying to manage a large project. I've created a bunch of sprints ahead of time to project the duration of the project.

I need to be able to see a burndown of the entire project, not just each individual sprints. I tried to create a seperate board, but I couldn't figure out a way to include an issue on multiple sprints at the same time.

What would be the best way to report on this? I need a burndown of the total project as well as smaller sprints.

2 answers

1 vote
Schuyler Bishop July 17, 2017

Hey Jacques, I see that this is a rather old question, but I happened to stumble upon it and thought that I might answer it in the case that you might still be interested in a solution to your problem. 

You can use the Version Report, which displays a team's progress towards completion of a version. The Version Report also shows the predicted release date based on the team's average rate of progress since the start of the version, and the estimated amount of work remaining. All you would need to do to use this report is append a single fix version to each of the issues in your project. You could do this through a simple bulk change. You could then continue to use sprint burndown reports to view and report on individual sprint burndown. 

Also, the Epic Burndown report could be useful in this situation, if your overall project happens to operate using a single epic. 

Both the Version Report and the Epic Burndown report can be found on the left-hand side of your JIRA board, under "Reports." There is also a useful Version Report gadget in Confluence, which will display the same thing if you configure it to do so. 

Hope this helps, 

Schuyler

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2014
Jacques Gingras February 27, 2014

I understand this idea, but does this mean that there isn't a way to view a burndown of a project in it's entirety?

Eliot Choi February 22, 2017

Hi Jaques, have you determined a solution for this?  I have the same problem that I am trying to solve.

Thank you.

- Eliot

Schuyler Bishop July 17, 2017

Hey Eliot, I provided an answer below. Hope this helps. 

Suggest an answer