Can a ticket be on more than one board at a time?

Michael Iarrobino November 9, 2017

Because some tickets fall under multiple projects, I'd like to have 1 ticket on two or more boards so each PM or Scrum Master can track the work. Is this possible or does it break logic in JIRA somewhere?

5 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2017

yep. tickets/issues do not belong to a board. Boards are simply filtered views of your database.

Michael Iarrobino November 14, 2017

Thank you for the help!

Like # people like this
Viren Teli October 13, 2021

I've just run into this issue and would like to understand by way of an example how a JIRA card can be made available across multiple projects, without having to open separate cards for the same issue across multiple projects. I read through the comments here, but couldn't understand how the same can be executed sucessfully.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2021

There is no issue here, at least not with Jira.

Issues can appear in multiple boards because they are simply a selection of issues, which may come from many projects.  

Projects are the containers of issues, and, obviously an issue can only be in one place at a time.  "card in multiple projects" is logically impossible and absolutely not what an issue tracker would ever do.  But an issue can appear in many reports and views.

Like Arno de Beer likes this
3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2017

Absolutely.

Boards are not containers for issues.  Projects are the containers.  Boards are a view of a selection of issues.

It does no harm to have many boards that select the same issue, set of issues, or even disparate overlapping ones.

You do need to be slightly careful with Scrum boards, as sprints will leak across boards, and you'll need to explain it to your users (there's one issue showing on many boards)

Makes sense. That must be why we're told only one board for the ticket - to avoid users making mistakes like that. Thanks!

Like Peter Miklian likes this
Amy_Hall May 22, 2018

I would like to ask a followup question:

If I create two boards, one for all jiras with component=A and another board with all jiras with component=B

How do those affect the Backlog and Sprint views, if at all?

Would I see the same issues in those views regardless of whether I am currently set to with Board A or Board B?  Or would I see all issues in the "Backlog" or in "Sprints" regardless of the Board I currently have?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2018

The boards are separate entities.  One is looking at one set of issues, the other board looks at another.

You might see sprints from one board appear on the other, if there is any chance of cross-over (I would expect to see some if you're using components to separate the boards)

Amy_Hall May 22, 2018

Thanks.  Forgive me but I'm still a little confused.  In my project there are 3 UI icons, one for the board, one for the backlog and one for the Sprint.  I have created 2 mutually exclusive boards based on my board filter.  If I switch between those two boards, would I expect to see  different results when I click the "backlog" icon or the "sprint" icon?

If boards represent a different view in to the project data, I'm confused as to where that view is rendered?  Because it seem like the issues listed in my backlog doesn't change regardless of the board filter. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2018

Ok, what type of boards are you looking at?

Amy_Hall May 22, 2018

Scrum Boards

Amy_Hall May 22, 2018

Maybe multiple boards only makes sense if they are Kanban boards?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2018

Ok, the backlog on a scrum board will change according to what the board filter includes, as will the sprint.  The sprint view will contain cards that are in the current sprint, the backlog all the other issues selected by the filter.

The boards can be different to the project data.

Amy_Hall May 23, 2018

ok thanks

Amy_Hall May 23, 2018

Thanks that helped me.  I think I got it now.

Matt Ray November 30, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- , you mentioned that projects are the actual containers for the issues and boards are just views of the data. So, can you have the same issue on multiple boards across multiple projects?  Or can the issue only be on multiple boards within the same project?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2020

@Matt Ray , you can absolutely have an issue appear on multiple boards. Think of the board as a filtered list of issues. Given that you could create as many filters as you want and as long as the filter captures a particular issue then the issue will be included. Now, regarding how projects fit in here - issues belong to projects and an issue can only be associated with a single project. However, a board can span projects. Let's see if the below example helps...

Assume you have two projects: ABC and DEF

Let's say you have two boards:

• Board ABC which captures only issues in project ABC using the board filter --> project = abc
  • Board Both-Projects which captures issue from both ABC and DEF using the board filter --> project in (ABC, DEF)

Results:

• Board ABC will have all ABC issues
  • Board Both-Project will have all issues from both projects
Like # people like this
Matt Ray November 30, 2020

Excellent!  Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2020

Yep, wot Jack said :-) - an issue is in one project, but can be seen (and worked on) on many boards

2 votes
Sabina Alistar May 28, 2020

What is the recommended way to implement this? I'm using classic projects, kanban boards. 

Most of the issues assigned to a user are in Board 1, but a few of them need to show up in Board 2 which was setup from a different project. 

Would you use labels to mark the relevant issues, then change the query for Board 2 to include issues in Project 1 marked with the label? 

1 vote
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2017

As the others already pointed out. Your board will display a selection of issues depending on either a project or a saved filter (create a board and see the options in the dialog window, basically it's always a JQL query), so yes, issues can appear on multiple boards. So keep that in mind when ranking issues in different backlogs as its rank is a global value :)

Thank you!

0 votes
Emily Earnshaw January 28, 2022

hello- can someone simplify this and tell me step by step how to add a ticket to show up on my other board? 

i added the label... and now i am on the board i want it to show up on.. and i cant figure out how to add it to a query. the new project is started is the new jira look and feel and it seems to have alot less options

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2022

Hi Emily,

What would really help is if you gave me the filter that exists on your current board. However let me see if I can answer you without.

1. First we need to assume that this is a CMP project for the following instructions to work
  2. Click on the… in the upper right hand corner of your board and select board settings
  3. Under the general page find and select edit filter query link
  4. In the next page click into the JQL filter box and add the following - OR labels = xxxx, where xxxx is your new label

Now, that may not be exactly what you want and why I would like to see your exact board filter and hear more about what your goal is. For example you may not want to see all issues with that label on your board.

Like treavor.wagoner likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2022

btw, if you don't see the… on your board then you're not going to be able to achieve this.

Emily Earnshaw January 28, 2022

thanks for the quick response.. this could be the issue

it says it is a "software project"  when i click the "..." there is no board settings option. but i can go to project settings and click "board" when im in there, it only give me the options to edit the board (columns) i see no options for querries anywhere i have clicked

Jordan Wolman October 11, 2022

I'd like to follow up on Emily Earnshaw's comment - I'm also working to have a board that can be used as a unified view of tickets on two separate existing boards. I set up a CPM software project and was able to navigate to "Board Settings" > "Edit Filter Query" 

I set up the JQL filter to be: project = "Board A" OR project = "Board B" which now shows me all the tickets I am interested in but I'd like them to actually appear in the Kanban board for this project. Is there a way I can use this filter to show me all those tickets in the actual board rather than having to go to the filters tab? 

Suggest an answer