Can a story be linked to two workflows?

Esmeralda DeArmas July 14, 2022

Hello, 

I have two workflows to separating UAT to its own workflow. Analysis - In Dev - QA then second workflow is UAT UAT approved UAT denied and ready for prod and prod. They will be on sprints will I be able to automatic tickets "completed" in QA and have it go to the next workflow UAT approved or UAT denied and if denied it needs to go back to the first workflow till fixed. Reason we need to break up the workflow is UAT does not move much the business test when they get to it and its been breaking out sprints for the developers. I need to know if its possible to link a story to two workflows? 

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2022

Hi @Esmeralda DeArmas , to answer your question of whether a story or any other issue type can be associated to more than one workflow the answer is no. However I don't think that's what you need in this case. If you are using CMP projects you could have two transitions out of QA one called accepted and the other rejected each of which would lead to the appropriate next status. If this does not make sense or you need further assistance please let me know.

Hi - Yes I am interested in understanding more especially since I wont be able to use two workflows 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2022

I would recommend what Mark mentions below whereby you have a scrum board for your developers and a kanban board for your QA team. You could consider development issue complete when it reaches the "ready for QA" status. This would be the right most status in your scrum board. The QA kanban board would begin with "ready for QA". The other option that I found to be more useful in most cases is to actually have a separate task for the testing. So once an issue reaches done from a development perspective the QA issue is linked to it and can be moved into a ready for QA status. If the QA fails it goes back to to do status and a bug, separate issue all together, it's opened unlink back to the original development task. In this way the bugs can be managed independent of the actual development effort.

But if I have a workflow that is "done" in QA then the kanban workflow that would be QA into UAT and ready for prod etc that still would be another workflow no?

what if sprint and kanban are using the same workflow would a ticket from a sprint be able to go into a kanban board and back into a sprint if needed ? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2022

yes it could. here is an example...

Workflow (Dev statuses - shared status - QA status)...

To Do > In Progress > Ready for QA > Testing > Done

in the above example, the Dev Scrum board begins with To Do and ends with Ready for QA while the QA kanban board would begin with Ready for QA and ends with Done. You would have a transition of rejected that would go back to the to do status and the transition of passed that would go to done status. If an issue is rejected by QA it should go back into the backlog for consideration of rework and a following Sprint.

Esmeralda DeArmas July 15, 2022

Thank you I am going to review this with my team and see if it is possible Thank you 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2022

Hi @Esmeralda DeArmas - No you cannot tie two workflows to a single issue type in the same project.  As a potential alternative, you could...

• Use a separate issue type/workflow for UAT
  • Leverage automation to spawn a clone/link into the UAT issue type when the issue is resolved
  • Update your dev board filter to not include UAT issues
  • Since UAT is not tied to sprints, you can create a UAT kanban board for tracking UAT activity on its own pace
  • Anything found in UAT can spawn a bug and then that bug can be linked to both the original story and UAT issue

Our current workflow is  Analysis, In Dev, Code Review, QA, UAT, Ready for Prod, Prod, was hoping to make two workflows that worked together so the sprint would not be broken every sprint since UAT tickets sit for months.

Arvind Soni October 20, 2022

Hi @Esmeralda DeArmas 

I have very similar use case. Is your problem solved? If yes, then do you mind sharing steps with me?

Arvind Soni October 20, 2022

We have similar workflow like you mentioned and business UAT takes long to complete, but that should not hold my sprint completion. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events