Can a script outside of Jira "write" to a Jira issue via email or other means?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2022

I'm trying to create an "association" function between PVCS and Jira, until we obtain BitBucket.  The idea I've come up with is:

1. A Jira issue is created, and a Developer is assigned.
  2. While adding or checking in software modules in PVCS, the Developer assigns a Version Label, equal to the Jira issue key, to the modules.  After add/check-in, a PVCS “trigger” script writes the module path(s) and name(s), Developer name, Date/time and description to an email whose address automatically triggers a transition that updates the Jira issue whose key is in the email Subject, with the data.  The data could be appended to a field that appears in a Version Control section of the Jira issue.

The big question is, can an email to a designated box automatically update a Jira issue if the issue key is contained in the email Subject or Body?  If not, is writing to a file an alternative, and if so, how would the file be attached to or read by the Jira issue?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2022

Jira does have email handlers but the content of the email is strictly added as a Comment on the named Jira issue.

If you have the option to create a script then I would advise you to construct that script to utilize the Jira REST API to make the changes that you need to the specified Jira issue.

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/intro/

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2022

Can you suggest documentation and/or courses that can help me understand (from scratch) how to use the Jira REST API? 

The script I created is a dos batch script that writes 2 lines of data to a file for each PVCS module (though that can be condensed to 1 line).  The name of the output file would be equal to the key of the Jira item.  I figure this script could call a script that copies all the lines from the file to a custom multi-line field called Version Control, in the target Jira item.  Does that sound do-able, and if so, how can I learn how to do it?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events