Can a User Story be worked on in two different sprints?

Donata May 11, 2020

Hello,

I have a question about how to successfully set up User Stories to be worked on two different Sprints. At my company, we run two different sprints - front-end (which is always one sprint behind) team and a back-end team.  (The purpose of that is that f-e would not need to wait on b-e to finish their part). 

The product team writes Acceptance Criteria on the User Stories. Teams aim to work on the same User Stories, just create different sub-tasks, e.g., back-end team creates sub-tasks for their sprint, same with front-end. 

I have never worked in this way, that same US would work for different Sprints, teams would be able to close sprints with sub-tasks, they would have a burn-down chart, and everything would work smoothly. 

Has anyone faced a similar situation? Any tips on how to set it up for success?

The main goal I would like to achieve is a visibility of the Parent-child relationship and being able to provide transparency for the Product team about the status of User Story, despite which Sprint US is in. Any help? :)

Thanks,
Donata

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2020

hi @Donata -

I have work a few options before.  Feel free to choose what would work best for you:

1. Back end and Front End is on the same team. Backend works in SP1 for SP2 Front end work. Front End works in SP1 to works on what may be available at the time to do. Therefore the story will be spread across 2 sprints but backend-end sub-task are completed, so less to do in the next sprint. 

2. The story becomes an Epic where stories are associated to the Epic. One story for back end and one story for front end. Product Team can use the Epic panel to see how all the related stories are doing in that epic. Plus the burn chart will work much better instead of each not being able to ever burn down. 

3. Back end and front end work in smaller chunks where they can deliver in one sprint. Doesn't look like its possible in your case base.

Hope this helps.

Donata May 13, 2020

Hi Benjamin,

Thank you for your answer. That helps. 

Paula Couto June 3, 2022

How manage the story points in the first case? This doubt is about the metrics and dashboards of closed sprints considering that the front end will estimate story points in a different planning meeting.

1. Back end and Front End is on the same team. Backend works in SP1 for SP2 Front end work. Front End works in SP1 to works on what may be available at the time to do. Therefore the story will be spread across 2 sprints but backend-end sub-task are completed, so less to do in the next sprint. 

Suggest an answer