Can Jira Cloud be configured to display visual alerts under certain JQL conditions?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2021

I have been asked to find a solution, if one exists, to a particular need. 

A team is looking to have naggy pop up alerts or something similarly naggy when a condition is true - in this case, when work has come to an impasse at any of a number of statuses.  This impass will be noted by a custom field used as a flag.

So if an issue is at an impass this team would like the assignee to get slapped in the face, metaphorically, by a naggy alert when they access Jira.

Is this possible?  I couldn't find a plugin in the marketplace but maybe my search criteria is lacking.

3 answers

0 votes
Amir Katz (Outseer)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2021

Disclaimer: this is not really an answer...

In Jira server, you could display error/info/warning popups using some Groovy code in workflow transitions - post-functions, validators and condition.

It was part of ScriptRunner and JMWE add-ons which support Groovy code, but the Java functions for the popup were actually provided by Jira.

In the cloud, the groovy code was massively deprecated and is limited to checking on fields and such.

I wonder if there is a similar functionality available on Jira Cloud.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 8, 2021

Scriptrunner requires sell a kidney money though...

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2021

Hi @Rob Horan 

If your "naggy alert" condition is something that you can determine from the issue's data, you could use automation rules to set the Flagged indicator and maybe send an email too.  That would appear as a red flag on issues.

Here is an example rule:

• Trigger: scheduled on JQL to check for issues not Done and not updated in 2 days
  • Action: edit issue, setting Flagged to Impediment
  • Action: send an email to assignee, etc.

To learn more about automation rules, please look here:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/automate-your-jira-cloud-processes-and-workflows/

Best regards,

Bill

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2021

The people I am looking into this for don't want an email, they want an alert when they get to Jira that basically yells at them.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2021

Hi Rob, the only naggy alerts are associated with the Notification bell icon. You could leverage automation to send an email. You could consider marketplace options. 

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2021

I have been trying to find documentation about that bell and can't seem to find anything at all.  Is there a way to leverage that?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2021

i couldn't find much either. i did find this on Confluence. I wonder if Jira is similar. view-your-notifications 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events